Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,750   Online: 882

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

my holga FN not crappy enough

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a HOLGA FN. I am very content with it. I loved setting it up, because allthough it is so cheap, I found it to be very well thought trough. Really a nifty design. Anyway, I shot a roll of reala 100 iso, and a roll of 160 portra NC. I only found the results too good, which in a Holga world is a bad thing... I want it to be more crappy. More vignetting, more distortion.
    Am I just unforntunate and do I have a holga that is just not so holgaish?
    Or should I modify it in some way.
    Hope for some thoughts here, thanks!

game

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chip the lens with a hammer and screwdriver. do the same to the back to get some small light leanks. i would never do this with my great lenses
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    a few suggestions and comments-

-don't use the 6x6 film mask that came with it, the mask is new and covers some of the vignetting (if you dont use the mask cover the wall edges between the center compartment and the film compartments with some kind of tape, the edges are sharp there)
    - the greater the scene contrast the greater the vignetting
    - distortion is always there, it doesnt become noticable until you enlarge the neg
    - if you want to try and create more distortion dont focus or focus in the opposite direction of what you need (focus far for near scenes and visa-versa)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just dip your finger in a jar of vasaline and smear it thinly on the lens to get the "Holga" distortion, couple of small holes drilled in the back, should help out with the light leaks, of course you could always open the back a small bit and then hollar *Sh*T* and slam it shut!

Have fun.

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They say no two holgas are the same and you may have one of the good ones. I would maybe buy another one and save the good one. maybe you could modify it for 35mm. they are cheap enough that having 2 or 3 isn't a budget buster.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The lens is plastic, so you should be able to rub it with a Q-tip and get light, or deep, scratches, depending on how hard you rub. I would work lightly around the edges first and just a bit in the center. Do a little bit of rubbing, expose some film to see what you've got, do some more rubbing, expose some more film, etc. Can't really help with the light leaks unless you file down the ridge on the back where the back plate mates up with the camera.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put it in a box and ship it to a friend by UPS. Have them ship it back to you the same way. If it's still in one piece, it should be beat enough to give you the results you want.

Or you could leave it in your car on a bright sunny day with all the windows rolled up, should get hot enough to warp the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format

great tips! thanks. I might be buying one more... Will try removing the mask at first, and myabe rub the plastic a bit in the edges...

Maybe I should see if I can find an old diana? (I beleive that's what holga's predecessor was called...) any thoughts on that?

game

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The diana was the holga's mum. Does your holga's lens focus? Try removing its "barrel helical" and put it back as recklessly as possible. Might get your holga on the right track. I know someone who really 'cooked' her toy cameras by putting them in a pre-heated oven for a few minutes. Don't put yours in with the turkey

You might also get away with using one of the old box cameras. They're cheaper than the diana (which is sought by many collectors) and can be modified as well.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    Maybe I should see if I can find an old diana? (I beleive that's what holga's predecessor was called...) any thoughts on that?
    I tried shooting a holga and diana at the same time once. It was interesting to view side by side negs. I prefer the diana and somehow I've ended up with a diana and two clones. They all shoot differently.

If money is a big concern I'd go with a holga and just do all the above suggestions. Those dianas are getting pretty pricey. Of course, if you look for the 40 or so different clone versions you could get really lucky. That's what I did and actually prefer one of my clones to the actual diana. It's craptacular

Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin