Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,234   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all, I have a 101 Wollensak so I am looking for an additional or additional lenses for my 2x3. I have a Red Dot Artar in 10.75 in. that I might try if I can get the shutter on a board. It's front mounted in an Alphax. I also have a Schneider 150 in a Copal I think will fit. It appears that the Ektars are popular.

Curt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 6.5x9cm Bergheil has a 120mm f:4.5 Heliar on it. That's my favorite, and the reason I bought the camera in the first place. The week after a similar lens, no camera attached, went for three times the price of camera with lens...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, I'm still looking for a 120mm f:4.5 Heliar, might have to get something else if I can't find one.

Curt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Curt, look for a "Baby Bergheil" instead of a Heliar. Much cheaper, and a good little camera too! The late versions with 120mm Heliar in rim-set Compur is not very common, but certainly very nice.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    85mm f2.8 Schneider Xenotar
    Me too. Absolutely stunning results.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom, Ricksplace, could you have the 80/2.8 in mind? Ah can't find no 85/2.8 in Schneider's Archiv.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Tom, Ricksplace, could you have the 80/2.8 in mind? Ah can't find no 85/2.8 in Schneider's Archiv.
    Whoops, Dan, my Schneider Xenotar is the 80mm f2.8.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Hi all, I have a 101 Wollensak so I am looking for an additional or additional lenses for my 2x3. I have a Red Dot Artar in 10.75 in. that I might try if I can get the shutter on a board. It's front mounted in an Alphax. I also have a Schneider 150 in a Copal I think will fit. It appears that the Ektars are popular.

Curt
    If I recall correctly,the 101 Wolly is the f4.5 design--so it may actually be a "series II" type lens. These are nice wide-open as portrait lenses (see some of Jim Galli's work).

I haven't tried this, but it may be worth a frame or two.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    If I recall correctly,the 101 Wolly is the f4.5 design--so it may actually be a "series II" type lens. These are nice wide-open as portrait lenses (see some of Jim Galli's work).

I haven't tried this, but it may be worth a frame or two.

Matt
    Guys, the hierarchy of normal lenses for 2x3 Graphics is triplet (103 Graftar, 103 Graflar) worse than 101/4.5 Optar (= Raptar) worse than 101/4.5 Ektar worse than 105/3.7 Ektar.

According to Richard Knoppow, who knows whereof he speaks, all tessar type Raptars are worse than the equivalent tessar type Ektars. This, he says, because of a design problem. The Raptar, according to him, has much worse coma than the equivalent Ektar, has to be stopped down at least one stop more than the Ektar to match the Ektar's image quality toward the edge. To which Les Newcomer, one of www.graflex.org's gurus, has retorted "who needs the edges?"

I have doubts about the 105/3.7 Ektar's superiority to the 101 Ektar. I've had one, got it as a superior -- I hoped -- replacement for my 101/4.5 Ektar. I didn't like what the 105 did, so sold it and still use the 101. Chris Perez' tests show the 101 ahead across the frame except at f/5.6.

All this said, this kind of discussion is pretty academic. What matters is how the lens in hand shoots for you, not how another one shot for someone else.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really appreciate this discussion, not as an academic process but as a real life use and results by actual users of the lenses. I bought a 127 Kodak Ektar to try it out. It was $75 with clean glass and a fully functioning shutter. I haven't tested the 101 Woll. very carefully to see what it will do other than checking for light leaks and roll film operation. I am not after the magic bullet but would like a very good performer.

Thanks,

Curt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin