Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,847   Online: 979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Favorite 2 1/4 3 1/4 lens

Do you have a favorite medium format Linhof or Graphic lens you like?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 55/4.5 Apo-Grandagon is pretty neat on 2x3--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...=500&ppuser=60
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    My Century Graphic came with a 105mm Schneider Xenar lens. But I switched to a 135mm SK Xenar and find that, with Efke 25 ASA, I'm using the camera far more frequently.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a meniscus lens harvested off of a sears delmar.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    120mm 5.6 Zeiss S Planar,
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    85mm f2.8 Schneider Xenotar
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Do you have a favorite medium format Linhof or Graphic lens you like?
    105mm Ektar. This is the one supposedly with a modified Heliar design. At f16 it is one of my sharpest lenses. Wide open it looks pretty good (nice character)

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have one of the Ektar 105mm F3.7 lenses and I have found it to be an excellent lens - sharp and contrasty.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 100 ektar on the Kodak Medalist (6x9) is a fantastic lens. I'll always regret selling the one I had.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, Curt, I shoot lenses from 38 mm to 480 mm on my 2x3 Graphics. Short answer, at this point all of my lenses are keepers and I don't have a favorite. Long answer follows.

I don't have have one favorite lens, but I tend to shoot more with focal lengths from 47 mm (f/5.6 SA) to 100 mm (several) than with longer ones. Within that range, 80 (WF Ektar) and 100 (several) probably get the most use, 47 and 65 don't fit as many of the situations I encounter. The 420 and 480 get very little use, few situations need a lens that long.

I choose focal length to suit the situation more than I choose a particular lens for which its focal length is right. I've done a fair amount of testing, mainly to determine which of my lenses isn't good enough to use. There's not much difference between lenses of similar focal lengths that are good enough to use, one could be happy with any of my keepers.

With respect to Ektars, I've had a 105/3.7 and have a 101/4.5. I think the 101 is sharper; this is consistent with Chris Perez' test results. But I've heard so many people carry on about how wonderful the 105/3.7 is that I've recently bought another one. My old one could have been a dud, my poor technique could have subverted its quality. Have to get the new one's shutter overhauled before I can discover whether I was right or the crowd is. Given Chris' results, at even odds I'll bet against the crowd.

FWIW, the best normal lens I have for 2x3 is a 4"/2 Taylor Hobson in barrel; aerial camera lens, big and heavy and stops only to f/16. This subject to results from a very recently acquired 95/2.8 Boyer Saphir that I hope will turn out to be a poor man's Planar-Xenotar-Heligon-100/2.8 Mamiya. Also subject to an exercise with some lenses, mainly Zeiss, to be borrowed from Charlie Barringer. Based on reputation I'd expect the 100/3.5 Planar to be the best of all, but its an empirical question and I'm not sure he has one in good order.

The one lens I was most taken with is my 38/4.5 Biogon. After it came back from SKGrimes in a Copal #0, I was so thrilled by what it did that for several months it was the only lens I used. The spell was broken by a shot of Mono Lake from the north on a hazy day. Horrible image, all foreground and haze; a lens that wide isn't right for every situation.

If you want to go 2x3, start with a normal lens and after a while you'll realize what more, if anything, will suit you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin