Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,410   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip for RB67?

Shooter
    35mm

Grip for RB67?

I have had my RB for a short time, so I am still getting used to the three part process of using the focusing wheel, shutter cocking mechanism, and film advance lever prior to taking a shot. I am sure that with time (and many more rolls of film) I will get used to it, however I would like to purchase a handle or grip for it. I find it awkward to hold it with my left hand while going through the three step process. I usually end up holding on to the focus wheel on the left side of the camera by mistake having to reposition my hands to then be able to get the shot. I like the idea of handholding my RB. Are there any grips or handles out there made for the RB (Mamiya or aftermarket)? I am hoping there is something similar to the wood handle of the Pentax 67. On my old 645's I used a handle mount flash as a grip, but those cameras were lighter than my RB. I tried using a handle mount flash, but the way the flash bent while supporting the RB looked like it was going to snap. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    None that are cheap.

Mamiya makes a grip for the RB and RZ that is comfortable and works fine - new in the neighborhood of $200. I checked KEH and no used ones at the moment. They have 2 pins on the bottom that fit in the bottom of the camera so the grip won't rotate. Either the RZ version or the RB version will work fine - the RZ version has a trigger button on the grip but that won't work on the RB since the little cord has no place to go, but otherwise is ok.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format

$200 Whoohoo!!!

Snegron, I have the left hand grip for my RB and once you get used to it you will find the focus really easy with the right hand, which will be in that neighborhood anyway to balance the camera. They are available on the bay on a regular basis. Get the genuine Mamiya with the shutter release and you wont be sorry. They regularly go for anywhere between $25-50. I gave $24.95 plus shipping shipping on a buyitnow. Unless you are really loaded or need something that does not appear regular or is too high (such as caps etcetera) do a Mamiya RB67 search every day. I have put together an astonishing kit for well under a grand.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Medium Format

Here is one now!

Here is one from the same place I got mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29974
    Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a flash bracket you can probally put your own two little notches to make it hold straight. Just make sure the flash bracket is one solid peice of metal and not a few bolted to each other due to the weight of the RB.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the help! I still wonder if Mamiya ever made a grip for the RB though. I have checked several places and have not seen anything like it made by Mamiya. I am starting to think that the flash bracket might be the way to go. Problem I am anticipating is that it would have to be a tall flash bracket so it won't get in the way of the pop up viewfinder and wide so it won't interfere with the focus wheels. It will probably weigh as much as the RB...

Thanks for the link Pragmatist! That bracket seems like one I currently own for my old 645J. Not a bad bracket but it would have to be twice as big to fit the RB.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    Thanks for the help! I still wonder if Mamiya ever made a grip for the RB though. I have checked several places and have not seen anything like it made by Mamiya. [...]
    I got my RB Pro-S a couple of months ago, and soon after got the Mamiya Multi-Angle Grip for it. I think the same grip works on the RB67 and the C330. This grip push-button adjusts to whatever angle is most comfortable, which comes in handy if you're switching between finders. There's an oversized shutter trigger on the grip, a wide soft leather strap, and a lock which locks the shutter from the trigger, but does nothing to lock the shutter button on the body, and since it's got a larger profile with the grip on it, you may still accidentally release the shutter with the grip on.

I've heard some grips don't have a tripod mount, this one does. One disappointment, though, is that with the grip on, you can't use a cable release.

Of course, if as if the RB wasn't big enough, the Multi-Angle Grip makes it even larger, but it does make it a great deal easier to use handheld.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The regular Mamiya left hand grip with shutter release allows the use of a cable release. It also has a port for a special double ended release cable that connects to the lens shutter for mirror up shooting. A 1/4 tripod thread is on the bottom as well. There is no danger of it bending, twisting, or coming loose. And it is definately made by Mamiya, in big white letters. While fitting the 330 as well, it was designed primarily for the RB
    Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just wondering if you've yet tried a really good neck strap - the kind that has a bit of 'give', (but not too much). I find this all I need for my RZ, which I hand-hold all the time. However, the film-advance and shutter cocking mechanism is one action with the RZ so this might make a difference....I had a go with a grip but personally found it was more to think about, not less.....I'd suggest trying one before you part with an amount of money, not such a bit deal if you can find one cheap.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yes, there is a strap

Stargazer, try the Op/tech USA Super Pro B strap. Comfy, non-slip fabric covered neoprene foam with elastic bands sewn in to relieve stress. Mine is really comfortable for long periods of the RB hanging about. $25-30 almost everywhere. More info here:

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/...&CATEGORY_ID=4
    Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin