Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,174   Online: 992

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

RB67 mirror lever jam

Yesterday I dusted off my RB 67 and loaded up a roll and noticed after the first shot that the mirror lever gets jammed when the mirror is up after a shot. I can jimmy the lever a bit and it eventually lowers the mirror but it's quite fussy and slow. There's no play or slop in the lever so I'm stumped. (I said 'dusted off' though in reality it's been stored very well.) I hesitate to send it out for repair since you can pick up a body for under $100 these days, but if anyone knows of a fix or work-around or even a cheap technician I'd much appreciate it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your jam may be a safety feature problem such as the darkslide protection is getting stuck, the back lock is accidently held in, the double exposure pin is not working proerly, the firing button is not coming out all the way or didn't release the safety trip inside. It could be somethngs as simple as bad seals causing problems due to missalignment and sticking, mabe your mirror bumpers are holding the mirror up, feeling like the lever is jambed?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for the ideas, Paul. I think it's someting in the lever mechanism because when the mirror does lower it's very smooth. Something is just making the lever hang-up initially. If I tap on it 10-12 times it always comes down. Even with the back and lens off it's exactly the same. I'm about to dismantle the thing, even though this is probably exceedingly stupid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Opening the body is very easy. Peel the leather off and that will expose the screws. On the opposite side of the camera, not the lever side, you'll have to open the light barrier which does have some seals that should be replaced anyway. These pare extra metal panels that get removed after taking off the side panel.

Sometimes your problem can be seem from the bottom, maybe a double exposure prevention feature i the firing button.

If you have any problems, e-me, I can take a look at it for you.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Holy crap I fixed it! If anyone else has this problem there is a little cam in the mirror return torsion spring assembly behind the screw (first arrow) that had shifted and was keeping the cocking wheel (second arrow) from turning. But this is probably one of those freak things that only seems to happen to me...:-/
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 07-26-2007 at 12:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Colin, immediately send yourself a bill for $90, pay it, and take the profit and buy yourself an accessory!!!
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    Colin, immediately send yourself a bill for $90, pay it, and take the profit and buy yourself an accessory!!!
    Ha! A capital idea, thanks Patrick!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good work there buddy, you saved yourself a few bucks, that's how I got my start. Enjoy!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin