Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,531   Posts: 1,645,798   Online: 1201

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AeisLugh
    I've actually been half considering a TLR the last couple days, after seeing that the cost is a bit lower, but I really think I'll keep aiming for the SLR format, simply because that's what I'm used to in 35mm and I've always liked the concept of looking through the lens that actually takes the picture better than having to deal with the offset of a separate viewing lens.
    You can experiment with using a TLR for almost nothing ($10-$20US), and get good results in the process. Then if you decide you still want an SLR, you at least have a better idea of whether you would be comfortable with a square format, or would prefer to go the other routes (6x4.5, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9). Personally, the only time I am not comfortable using a TLR is for macro work, and most won't focus that close anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    You can experiment with using a TLR for almost nothing ($10-$20US), and get good results in the process. Then if you decide you still want an SLR, you at least have a better idea of whether you would be comfortable with a square format, or would prefer to go the other routes (6x4.5, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9). Personally, the only time I am not comfortable using a TLR is for macro work, and most won't focus that close anyway.
    I've nae seen any TLR's THAT cheap. If I had, I would have bought one already lol. for 10-20 bucks, I'd be perfectly willing to experiment lol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I scored a couple of Rollei's for $30-$40, but they aren't what I would call users. One was a Rolleicord V that looks like it had a really hard life, and ended up spending some time under water. It is purely parts. The second is a pretty decent first model Rolleiflex 3.8, it's pretty rough, but exactly what I wanted. I plan to completely restore the 'flex. Not sure if it will get a 120 format conversion (I think it's 117 now).

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AeisLugh
    I've nae seen any TLR's THAT cheap. If I had, I would have bought one already lol. for 10-20 bucks, I'd be perfectly willing to experiment lol
    Look for a Ciro-Flex (aka Graflex 22), or one of the early Yashicas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Look for a Ciro-Flex (aka Graflex 22), or one of the early Yashicas.
    I'll start looking around for them.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, the Ciro's are also sometimes listed as Ciroflex, Ciro Flex, Circ flex, etc. In their time, they were the best non-professional TLR, and used by some professionals as well. There is a lot of good information on TLRs here http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/tlr.html.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can often get Meopta Flexaret cameras pretty cheap too, around $50 for a working camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    You can often get Meopta Flexaret cameras pretty cheap too, around $50 for a working camera.
    I'll look, but i haven't even heard of that camera, let alone see any for sale

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's a guy on ebay that sells them, about as directly from the factory as you can get. I don't know much more about them than that, haven't purchased one yet. Seeing that I have a perfectly good Yashica 635, a Yashicamat that needs work, a Rolleiflex 3.8 that needs work, and a Rolleicord V that is currently in a state of flux, I'm probably good on the fixed lens TLR. A Mamiya C330 may be in my future though (at some time). The Flexaret looks kind of different from the normal TLR.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Flexarets are nice cameras, though laid out a bit oddly. The Mirar lens on the earlier ones is probably close to the triplet on the Ciroflex A-E. The later Belar I believe is a tessar derivative. I use a VI with my Yashicamat 124G when I need to carry two medium format films and an SLR is not appropriate (noise). Didn't mention it because shipping one from the Czech republic to Canada is probably more expensive than the total cost of a Ciroflex. The opposite rule would probably apply in Europe. Of course the Flexaret VI and VII are very cool looking.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin