Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,074   Posts: 1,612,062   Online: 1047

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Spanner-Wren...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Film-Camera-Main...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-repair-To...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if these links will actually work, but you might try searching ebay for "camera tools". Since these guys all ship worldwide, there shouldn't be a problem getting them to your country. Cost might be a factor though. I was going to order a bunch of things from ebay, then started to look at the shipping cost, and ordered from Microtools instead, it all came out to be about the same price; however, I am in the USA so your prices and import duties may be different!

One word about the Microtools products, they seem to be about the same items, except the rubber stoppers. The ones shown in the auctions above are hollow in the center. The ones from Microtools are really just rubber stoppers. While they do the same job, there may be times when the rubber contacts the lens! So keep them clean! The price difference is huge between these two styles of rubber tools, and yess you really do need them. They make good backing material for when you really have to put some pressure on your spanners to keep them from slipping out of the slots. The focus knob on Rollei's is held on with a threaded retaining ring, again you need something like a stopper to remove this. You'll find other uses as time goes on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Forgot to mention that you need the 3 different types of spanners, or at least the point and blade type. The cheaper set that Microtools sells are not the best, but they do get the job done without damaging the slots (or at least so far, but I've only used them a couple of times).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some applications you can also make a spanner from a piece of sheet metal or a good stiff putty knife. Grind a big divot out of the middle (like an upside-down "U") to clear the lens and grind the sides to fit.

Henry Taber has a page on Favorite Classics which describes this approach.

I have not needed to do this, but in the absence of a store-bought lens spanner this looks like a good substitute.

Nathan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    Cost might be a factor though.
    You could say that - looks like even the cheapest option is going to set me back at least £50. I guess that's the problem with a tiny niche market like do-it-yourself camera repair - even simple tools are expensive. At the moment it looks like my options are to make something myself or wait for a reasonably priced one to pop up on Ebay; in the meantime I'm just going to make an appeal - does anyone in the UK have one they'd be willing to sell, or even lend? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are very very very careful and the retaining ring is not too large and not screwed down too hard, you could try using a pair of pointy tweezers as a spanner. I have done this on an old Pontiac Baby Lynx.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yesterday I couldn't find my spanner, so I made one just for the rear lens cell of an older Yashicamat. The lense is set deep enough in the cell that a sheet metal blade flat across the tip mould have worked well. If the cross-section of that tool is in a Z shape, it might resist twisting better. Instead of trying the easy way, I made a tool of oak with two piano wire pins epoxied in the end and filed down to fit the slots in the cell. The cell wasn't difficult to remove. Nails set into pine and filed to fit the slots probably would have worked as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yashica1.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin