Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,311   Online: 905

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Images

Underwater with 120, is it possible?

I'm interested in doing some underwater photos in a pool. I'd like to use 120 film. Obviously, the depths are not great so I don't need super gear. Is there a cheap and easy way to do this, or only expensive, new, and difficult?

I have Pentax 67 and Mamiya 7, but if the underwater housing is cheap enough, I could buy a camera to match. Otherwise, it looks like a Nikonos might be my best bet.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's a picture of Peter Gowland on his website with a Rolleiflex in an underwater housing.

I think this is one of the things that Bob Monaghan is into. He probably has a page about it on his MF website-- http://medfmt.8k.com/
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are shooting just below the surface or maybe a very little deeper several manufatures make "splash bags" for video cameras that should accomodate a MF. B&H, off the top of my head, has them listed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo, I saw this on e*ay last week. Although the auction is alredy closed, it shows that the answer on your question is, generaly, "YES"!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adonchev
    Hallo, I saw this on e*ay last week. Although the auction is alredy closed, it shows that the answer on your question is, generaly, "YES"!
    Wow, the prices have come down on those housings. Perhaps I am just thinking of the one like Gowland used, but I seem to recall those selling for a lot more.

In answer to the Original question, a good place to check is "Backscatter" in Monterey. Also, "subaquatic photo". Both places have a fair amount of used stuff.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pentax made their own marine housing for the 6x7 including a porro-prism, but it was a special order item and consequently quite rare. I have seen various parts of the system on eBay but they are very expensive. Apparently Cameratech in San Francisco bought out the remaining parts from Pentax.

A scan of the original manual is available on the Pentax USA site:
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...re/show_manual
    Look for "6x7 Marine" in accessories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking this too since summer is approaching. I was thinking:

Holga
    ductape
    clear filter
    and 2 or 3 ziplock bags

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I was thinking this too since summer is approaching. I was thinking:

Holga
    ductape
    clear filter
    and 2 or 3 ziplock bags
    It's a Holga, do water leaks matter?

Somewhere around here I have a vintage book on underwater photography with a whole section on medium format cameras usable underwater. Shall I post a list?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That idea crossed my mind last week and I don't see any reason why any format can't be used if enclosed properly. The Channel Islands would be a great photo site with a larger film size. What about 70mm in a custom built camera or even a 645 with a motorized film advance?

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    As a former surfer and scuba diver I have been following this thread with interest. The housing David mentioned is the Rolleimarine. In the '60's you could buy a plexiglas housing for most any camera. It would seem to me that just about any M/F housing would be from 20 to 40 years old. That would mean replacing all of the O-rings at the very least. That means the exact O-rings. And be sure to lube with petroleum jelly.

A holga is one thing, taking a prime Rollei TLR or a 'Blad and sticking it into a 30 year old housing of unknown history is bad idea.

You can buy a new Nikonons V and O-ring kits from B&H. This is where 35mm shines.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin