Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,486   Online: 930

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    I have had two Nettars and both have produced some half-decent pics, although the first had a bit of a light leak which showed on some images.
    Do you know where the leak is? It might be an easy fix.

By the way, Penfold was one cool sidekick!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    Do you know where the leak is? It might be an easy fix.

By the way, Penfold was one cool sidekick!
    Ditto, its not uncommon to find folding cameras online which have light leaks possibly in their bellows, in which case minor ones can be fixed with some ellectrical tape on the inside.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think that a Yashica is a good choice. Check out this for some info: http://www.williamsphotographic.com/yashica.html

I bought a 124 recently and will be picking up another cheap Yashica A that a friend of mine owns. I shot a test roll thru the A and was VERY surprised. Only thing is the GG is very bad but I will be replacing that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Getting into MF is not just about increased resolution, but also about tonality, the fact that in most cases you are forced to slow down, the fact that you now can afford it, the love of using older camera, etc., etc.

To get started a TLR is the obvious choice, and you should be able to get something very reasonable for under $100 (Yashica, Minolta, Ricoh, Flexaret, Ikoflex, etc.). If you are prepared to spend a bit more, you could get started with a Mamiya C220. This will give you the option of additional lenses, from wide to moderate telephoto. You may or may not "click" with the WLF and reversed image.

Folders are another way, and open up more format options, from 6x4.5 up to 6x9. Contrary to what some seem to think, most folders don't come with bellows full of holes. Of the half dozen or so MF folders I have, not one has a single hole & all were bought off ebay. Some specific brands are known for holes due to the bellows material - Agfa for example - so for these be extra careful. For many other brands, such as Zeiss, the Russian Moskva and Iskras, Baldas etc. the bellows are generally OK providing they haven't been abused.

The best cost/value/quality compromise is in uncoupled RF folders, of which there are quite a few. The Zeiss Mess-Ikonta (6x6 version) with Novar lens is generally good value and very good performer, as is the Balda Baldix. For something less well known, and generally much cheaper, you could consider one of the later AGI Agifold cameras.

Cheaper but slightly less convenient, you could get a folder without RF and buy an accessory RF - these are generally pretty cheap. In that case, you will have a much broader choice, and at lower cost. You may like to grab one of the dual format 6x6/6x9 folders in that case.

Unless a Holga is really what you want, I wouldn't recommend one of these as a first foray in MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike - I would check what your local lab can do. Mine can't do 6x9 anymore and some days I don't feel like scanning rolls of film. I started of with a Yashicamat and haven't looked back. There are some great deals here in Canada as there is not as many buyers running around scooping up stuff. With all MF stuff I have picked up I still shoot my 'mat all the time.
    Last edited by mitspooner; 07-02-2006 at 01:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point. If you aren't doing your own printing, 6x9 can pose some problems. I get around it for color by shooting transparencies and then engaging in processes better not discussed here. For black and white, old 2x3 enlargers are not hard to come by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to what has been said, my ZI nettar (1950's) 517 and 518's blow my Nikon FM2 out of the water, even though it only has zone focusing. A Nettar should run you about 20 - 30 bucks in great shape. You want the 517/16 or 518/16, not the /2. 6x6 is a wonderful format. cut it, crop it, use it as it is...

ZI bellows are pretty tough. I have had issues with the Agfa bellows, but never a light leak with a Zeiss Ikon.

On the other hand... a good Mamiya C220 or even an old C3 will last you just about forever if you take care of it. I would be careful you don't get a wedding photographer flogtoy. Those people can be brutal on a piece of equipment *G*. I have a C220 that has served me well for 12 years plus, I have a C3 that was obviously ridden hard and put away wet as it has issues with film advance and occasional gear slippage on the focus racks. But what a camera! With Mamiya lens you WON'T be able to tell the diff between a photo shot with your Mamiya and a Hassy. (JMHO)

So decide how deep you want to jump in. If jist a little, get a zone focusing Zeiss Nettar, if serious, get a Mamiya C series.

Of course, the Yashicas are very nice cameras as long as no one has mucked with the shutters on them. I have a 635 that I am fond of, but I usually use it in 135 mode as I like that lens with the smaller format. And with the Mamiyas around, why would I shoot 120 with the yashica?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitspooner
    Mike - I would check what your local lab can do. Mine can't do 6x9 anymore and some days I don't feel like scanning rolls of film. I started of with a Yashicamat and haven't looked back. There are some great deals here in Canada as there is not as many buyers running around scooping up stuff. With all MF stuff I have picked up I still shoot my 'mat all the time.
    If they can do 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x7, its bullshit if they cant do 6x9, its roll film just develop it all the same. And if its because they cant 'cut' it, just ask for the roll uncut, its not like its 'that' hard, I always ask my local lab ( when I have last used them ) to just give the roll back developed, untouched, and uncut.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah they can't print the 6x9 but they still will process it for me. It seem to be they way that most places are going. Took me two weeks to find some one who would do 4x5 C-41 in town.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    ...But what a camera! With Mamiya lens you WON'T be able to tell the diff between a photo shot with your Mamiya and a Hassy. (JMHO)
    I beg to differ, but thats your own opinion, I have a C3 with a 65mm and 105mm lens, they dont stack up as well to the 90mm f/3.8C (or 180mm f/4.5) I have on my RB67 (though pretty damn close), and both the C3 and my RB67 are not as sharp ( though one could never tell unless you printed larger than 11x14) than a Hassy 500 with a Carl Zeiss T* Planar 80mm f/2.8.

Course saying X camera is Sharper than Y Camera is a bit ambigous, since you can buy a Hassy with cheaper grade glass, as well as buying a Mamiya RB with high end glass.

End the end we shouldnt quibble about quality as cameras mentioned today Mamiya RB67, Hassy, Yashica, Rollei, Nettars, Mamiya TLRs, so forth are all going to deliver good quality. The main thing that differs between them is how you shoot, what feels comfortable for you, are you comfortable with a big tank, a medium MF SLR, a tiny folder, a light TLR, a heavy TLR. Do you prefer to shoot looking down, straight ahead (upside down? lol). Do you have the need to change out lens or will you be happy with a one-in-all package. These are kinds of questions you need to ask yourself first, if you were local I'd let you get a feel for most of the equipment I have, hell if you were local and wanted to go out shooting sometimes and had a roll of b&w I'd develop it for you to see the results. One thing I've noticed is yer not gona find too many people letting others hold their hassies or rolleis.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin