Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,037   Online: 756

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Finger Lakes Region of New York State
    Shooter
    35mm

Satin Snow and Rolleiflex...a question...

Has anyone replaced the focusing screen in their Rolleiflex with a Satin Snow glass? I measured the screen in my Automat 4 (MX) and it seemed to be about 1.3 mm thick. The Satinsnow thickness is 2mm. Since the Rolleiflex screen is held against the upper frame of the hood, the SS's focusing surface would be about .7mm lower than the stock screen. Would I have to adjust focus? Has anyone done this here and can enlighten me how tough it is?

thanks!
    doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Doug,
    I am not familiar with the camera but you should ask the man himself. Dave Parker (sat in snow) is a most agreeable chap. You can drop him a line at gglass@satinsnowglass.com

Good Luck,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreilly
    Has anyone replaced the focusing screen in their Rolleiflex with a Satin Snow glass? I measured the screen in my Automat 4 (MX) and it seemed to be about 1.3 mm thick. The Satinsnow thickness is 2mm. Since the Rolleiflex screen is held against the upper frame of the hood, the SS's focusing surface would be about .7mm lower than the stock screen. Would I have to adjust focus? Has anyone done this here and can enlighten me how tough it is?

thanks!
    doug
    Doug,

I have the Satin Snow GG for my Linhof Technikardan 45S which I like very much. However, for my Rollei 3.5F 12/24 Planar I believe that I have Rollei replacement (bright?) with a central spot and split image screen. The split image is very helpful in focusing. I believe these are a plastic material Fresnel lens. They are certainly thinner than the Satin Snow GG. I believe that focus may be the same though since the grind surface of the screen should be the focusing plane. As much as I like the Satin Snow GG for my 4" X 5", I am not sure that I would want to replace the screen that I have in the camera now.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 07-02-2006 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand that the Satin Snow screens are too thick. I don't have one apart to measure the clearance but the Rolleiflex screens load with retainer clips on the UNDERSIDE of the focusing hood. If the screen you fit is too thick, then you won't be able to screw the hood back on.

Rick Oleson can sell you a split image fresnel cut to fit. I believe these are the screens used in the Chinese Seagull cameras. Fresnel pattern is quite visible with the magnifier, but you won't get away from that without spending a lot of money on the Maxwell.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Rick is a super guy - they don't come any better.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    I understand that the Satin Snow screens are too thick. I don't have one apart to measure the clearance but the Rolleiflex screens load with retainer clips on the UNDERSIDE of the focusing hood. If the screen you fit is too thick, then you won't be able to screw the hood back on.

Rick Oleson can sell you a split image fresnel cut to fit. I believe these are the screens used in the Chinese Seagull cameras. Fresnel pattern is quite visible with the magnifier, but you won't get away from that without spending a lot of money on the Maxwell.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Rick is a super guy - they don't come any better.
    \ OTOH, I think once you've tried a Maxwell Screen on a RolleiFlex you'll seek no other as I have the Maxwell Split image on all 5 of mine though I switch the screens around on the F models since they are just a drop -in type----I've tried several and in the long run just get the Maxwell and enjoy using the camera and you'll greatly enjoy the MUCH improved focus. I have Bills screens in my Deardorff 4x5 and my Linhof Master as well !! You get what you pay for and the Maxwell Split Image is the best upgrade out there on a RolleiFlex !!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the Maxwell's too but an Automat is barely worth as much as the Maxwell screen these days!
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    don't forget the focusing screen size is different on automats and later models (E2-3, T, F and wide/tele), hence maxwell ones are not adaptable on earlier cameras.
    It's said that if the screen is too thick, focusing trouble may appear.
    have fun,
    stéphane

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I do have a Satin Snow screen in my MX-EVS. I got the camera in a trade and the previous owner purchased the screen as he didn't want to shell out for the Maxwell etc. It is a bit brighter than the original screen(which I also have) but it still can be difficult to see clearly under all but very bright conditions. I'm not an expert but I assume it works as my photos appear to be in focus. I'm debating now on what to do as I would really like to get something that is easier to see indoors but am reluctant to put a ton of $ into this particular camera as it needs a CLA and I'm wondering if I should hold off until I can get a 2.8F.

I saw this cheap screen on ebay and was wondering if it might work.

In any case, i can attempt to measure the thing if you give me exact instructions.

The Finger Lakes Region of New York State
    Shooter
    35mm
    Guy,

I can't give you exact instructions as to how to measure the satin snow, but I think there are four screws around the outside of the hood, that, if removed, should take the whole hood off. If the MX-EVS is like the Automat (or plain mx) the screen is held on to the bottom of the hood by two clips that can be slid out and replaced easily.

I've heard good things about Redleica's screens, and also Rick Oleson, who is the US. I think it's a very similar product, if not the same, but Rick is in the US and has lots of info on putting his product in different cameras. But I don't think you can go wrong...from what I've heard these screens are not premium level, but are huge improvements from early stock ground glass. Worth a try I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mann
    I saw this cheap screen on ebay and was wondering if it might work.
    I got one of redleica's screens thinking I'd use it in my Autocord. It's a poorly made, dark plastic screen. Avoid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin