Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 818

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Arax Cameras and lenses. Are they as good as they sound?

I've visited the ARAX web site today, http://www.araxfoto.com/, and their description of their cameras and lenses make them sound like good buys.

Does anyone know if they are as good as they claim?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a lens that got the full treatment and a body that got a minimal treatment. The stuff is equal to the ads.

OTOH is it a good deal in todays market? Other then the fisheye I'm not sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking of selling mine as I'm not using it that much more since I started using a view camera and a Rittreck system. PM me if you're interested in an Arax 60 MLU with a 80mm Vega (portrait lens) or a 80mm Biometar. They are quite okay and I definitively did take some 'keepers' with it.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Medium Format

arax

I rember reading a quote about kievs. Something about making silk from a sow's ear.

There is a delphi forum devoted to these cameras. I can't think of the url at the moment.

Some of the lenses are amazing. I have a soft spot for these cameras, but i wouldn't tell someone to go order one. Slow shutters, frame overlap, finicky to load and thats just the first week.

If you like to tinker they can be fun, they will never be reliable.

With the prices on gear today i would suggest going with a used mamiya, bronica or p67. I have a m645 1000s that i use the lenses on. Reliable, easy to use and very quick with a motordrive. Really a good body for some of thier better optics.

All that being said i put 2 rolls thru my kiev 60 a month when i'm not deployed

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He did a beautiful job with my 88CM, so it feels like it was made by a serious camera company. The shutter is loud, but everything moves smoothly and the handling is excellent. I've run several rolls through it with good results so far, though nothing worth publishing yet. Some of the Kiev lenses are gorgeous, as are some of the Zeiss lenses made for the Pentacon 6 (same mount). The 30mm will give anyone serious lens envy, and I really like the 250/3.5.

That having been said, I am not sure I would have bought one if I had not previously acquired a Kiev 60 and a wide range of lenses in the days when Kiev was the only cheap medium format SLR I could find circa 2002). Unless you want some of the more exotic glass, especially that 30mm, there are plenty of other options to consider, such as Bronica and Mamiya. So the real question is the usual one, which is, "how do you want to use the camera?" I would decide what formats and lenses I wanted, then examine the range of options. Certainly Arax should be one of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the KievCamera out of Atlanta version of the 88cm and love it. At one point I jacked up the shutter knob and called them. Michael had me ship it to him. I sent it out on a Monday and that same Friday I had my camera back. I was very impressed. I have had some problems with their film backs though. I am going to send in one of my backs because it has completely failed. From what I understand KievCamera and Arax perform similar services and then sell the upgraded cameras. I don't know anything about Arax, but if they do as good a job as KievCamera you will be happy.

Sunny
    "Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them." --From the Lawn*Boy Operator's Manual

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are two quick digipics to give you an idea of the fit and finish quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ARAX 88 Port.jpg   Arax 88 STBD.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin