Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,005   Posts: 1,633,506   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya C220 or C330?

I am curious to know what the difference is between the 220 and the 330. I have seen them for sale recently and I am not familiar with TLR's in general, other than the top lens is the viewing lens and the bottom lens is the "taking" lens. They look pretty cool though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 330 cocks the shutters on the lenses when the film is advanced. On the 220, the shutter has to be cocked separately. Also, the 330 has a large crank for film advance, the 220 has a knob, with a small fold out crank. The 220 is lighter in weight. The 220 does not take interchangeble viewing screens, the 330 does. there are other less significant differences (IMHO). I have the 220. They take all the same lenses.

See: http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...aq-mamiya.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both cameras, and echo David Brown's comments, with one addition.

The C330 has two shutter releases. One of those releases interfaces directly with a Mamiya grip which has a trigger release on it. The combination of the camera and grip makes handling perfect (IMHO) for someone like me who is very left handed.

I have had my C330 for almost 30 years and shot all sorts of things with it, including weddings.

My C220 is a more recent purchase, bought used, so that I have a backup. I find I use it most often when I want to carry around something lighter than the C330. The photograph of the ropes in my gallery was shot using the C220.

Both are great.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback! Is the C330 an updated version of the C220?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really, they are parallel series. The C330 is updated from an earlier C3xx something and the C220 is updated from an earlier C2xx something. I don't know what all the versions were. I have an old C2 (my first MF camera bought used) and an old C3 bought new in the 1960's. That became my main workhorse for weddings with the C2 as a backup. After a few hundred or so weddings, these guys are on the 'retirement' shelf. Very sturdy, though. Cameras take a lot of wear and tear on weddings every weekend and these held up great. They still work too.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiyaflex C, C2, C3, C22, C220, and C220f are probably the direct feature line. The C33, C330, C330f, and C330s added the auto shutter cocking and the parallax/exposure compensation arm in the finder. With the possible exception of the 220-only backs on the C33 and C22, and a couple of lens incompatibilities, pretty much any permutation of body, lens, or finder will work. A true system camera.

[edit - punctuation]
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have heard mixed reviews about the lenses for the Mamiya TLR series. Are they as sharp as the 645 N or RB67C series?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As sharp as you will ever need.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    As sharp as you will ever need.
    Amen.

I have a 55, 80 & 180 (black versions). All are as sharp as a tack.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once I used the 55mm, 80mm and 180mm lenses on the Mamiya twin lens reflex for shooting weddings. I personally preferred the manual Mamiya 22 and 220 because I felt the less automation there was, the less chance there was of something breaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin