Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,645,980   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdated film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Outdated film

I've recently been given about twentyrolls of Fujichrome Velvia 50 120 format. However, it is about a year to eighteem months out of date. The film has not been fridgerated, but has been kept away from sunlight in a coolish room. My main interests are landscape and architecture. My question is: Will this film still be useable, or would it be best to trash can it?

Julian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By all means shoot a test roll. You should rate it at ?????? . Brain freeze. I sure another member has the answer. It's either a bit slower or a tad faster.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And if you don't like the test results cross process the rest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    By all means shoot a test roll. You should rate it at ?????? . Brain freeze. I sure another member has the answer. It's either a bit slower or a tad faster.

Mike
    I have always shot my velvia 50 at ISO 40 and processed normally..if the film has been in a cool room and not got hot, should not give many problems, as Nick and Mike said, shoot a test roll to make sure all is okay.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would be curious to find out as well. I have several unused rolls of Porta 160 VC with an expiration date of 09/2005 in my fridge (they were in the salad drawer which I never use). They have been in my fridge for about a year now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    or if yer really paranoid send it to one of us (Typically, unless that film was sitting in the trunk of your car for a few months during the summer, it'll normally be just fine, thinking like 70F and below for that whole time.)
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    I would be curious to find out as well. I have several unused rolls of Porta 160 VC with an expiration date of 09/2005 in my fridge (they were in the salad drawer which I never use). They have been in my fridge for about a year now.
    You should have no problems then, refrigerated film can last years past the expiration, freezed film seems to last pratically forever. Just allow a couple hours for it to thaw before removing from the foil, you dont want condensation.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ara g used to work for a photo store delivering between stores in the van.
    he made this post a while back regarding film and heat ..

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/17151-film-heat.html

have fun with your film!

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I, too, have a ton of Velvia 50 that is expired. I had been keeping it refrigerated, but a trusted professional camera store owner told me a while back that this particular film did not keep well cold that it would be better to keep it at room temp. At that point I shot a couple of rolls so he could check film speed for me and it was staying still at about 50. I haven't used any since and just gave about 10 rolls away the other day to someone who can help me use it up. On Gary Beasley's recommendation I am going to get a C-41 kit and try cross-processing some of it. Since I am more of a b&w shooter, the Velvia is my playing around film--although it could be said that all my film is my playing around film :-)

I am sure my response has only added to the cofusion.

Cheers,

Sunny
    "Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them." --From the Lawn*Boy Operator's Manual

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always cold stored my velvia and never had any problems with it at all, I just shot some that had been in my freezer since 99 and it shot and processed with no problems at all, I wonder why he was saying it doesn't cold store well?

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin