Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,461   Posts: 1,597,439   Online: 862

Shooter
    Medium Format

Filters for Mamiya C330

does anybody have experience of using filters on a Mamaiya TLR? Am I right in thinking that the filter thread on the 80mm lens is 49mm? Also is it possible to use Coking P filters on one of these cameras?
    many thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I am using 49mm filters with a step-up ring 46 ->49, it works fine 80 mm has probably a 46mm thread, too - as I can remember. I also don't think that Cokin P should fit there, not obstructing the focusing lens - a simple try should tell it

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Filter size on 55, 80, 135 to my knowledge is 46 mm, 250 is 49 mm. Cokin filters will work fine, the holder may slightly obscure the viewing lens, but this you can live with.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This sounds like a flippant answer, but I'm actually serious.

I use Cokin P filters on my tripod-mounted C330 by holding them in front of the taking lens. It works fine.

If you're hand-holding you may need to find an alternative solution, but otherwise I'd advise saving yourself a few quid...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Cokin P filters I would think are too big as Zhenya says, I use the Cokin A series filters with the standard A filter holder, I can confirm the filter diameters in the black lenses are as David says. I understand Cokin used to make a dedicated filter holder for Mamiya TLRs thats discontinued, but still sells on Ebay for around £40, I'm hopeing to come across one in a camera shop junk box one day.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    to add... the filter sizes for the black 180mm and the silver 65mm are both 49mm. The filter for the silver 80mm is 40.5mm.

I did not have trouble with the right sized filter intruding into the image of the viewing lens but on some lenses (180, e.g.) it was not possible to put a filter on both the viewing and taking lens at the same time because the rings collide.

I have since gone to using step-up rings with only 49mm filters, since I now have multiple bodies and multiple lenses and it was too many combinations to worry about. With the step-up rings, you do get some intrusion into the viewing lens on some lengths - - especially if you include a lens hood.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin