Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,882   Online: 1144

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I Love the SL66....

What a remarkable camera! Can't believe I had never heard of it before 6 months ago.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, the Rollei SL66 was and is a magnificent camera. During the height of its manufacturing years, Rollei ads stated it was the most expensive medium format SLR cameras ever sold. They have held their value over the years. They are many times priced 20-40% over the price of a similar equipped Hasselblad.
    The price for lenses was in the stratosphere however. Prices were similar to the cost of a new car at the time, rather a few pounds of glass.
    The SL66 was Brett Weston's camera of choice for more than two decades. One can see some of the images he created with the camera and Brett working with the SL66 in the DVD "Brett Weston: Photographer."
    Here is link if you would like to check it out.
    http://www.brettwestonphotographer.com/

Walker

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dissent.

I had one about 10 000 years ago. I liked it in principle - but found it painfully clunky to use. I thought the tilt (which, IMO, is of questionable utility) really compromised the structural integrity of the thing. I still really like the idea of what it could have been though...! I use a 6003 though. So I haven't left the fray entirely.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks great for concentrating attention on the girl's face. The DoF here must be about 2 inches max.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Ineffable: Slow to catch on, not up on the latest news or trends, will take three more years to find out about digital photography. Still regards 8x10 as medium format, able to take wonderful photos of children when awake.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    That is a beautiful image! I keep seeing these image posts from sl66's and it makes me wish I had considered it more instead of just gunning for the hassy.
    Maybe i'm doing something wrong? I just don't get the 'wow' factor out of my hassy.
    Perhaps it's because i'm not really shooting 'wow' subjects with 'wow' lighting. *sigh*
    Congratulations though with your new found enthusiasm towards your gear!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For many years I have enjoyed making intimate, below the horizon landscapes. For about 10 years I hauled my wooden, folding 4x5 field camera around. Then, I saw Brett's work in a show in Houston. Most of the images were made with the Rollei and were truly amazing. A couple of years later, I took the plunge and bought one from Hadley Chamberlin - before eBay. An instant love affair still going strong. For anyone doing up-close landscapes, the bellows and tilt features are indispensable. After, perhaps, 2000 rolls of film, never a single jam or failure.

For me the primary difference between 4x5 and the Rollei is that I see differently with each. Much more likely to "bore in" and take a compositional risk with the Rollei. I primarily use PL100 in Rodinal for 4x5 and APX100 in Rodinal for the Rollei. For 8x10 prints, the two are indistinguishable when viewed at, say, 12 inches. The PL100 is a bit softer in gradation, but only in side-by-side comparisons of identical subjects in identical light.

I think my SL66 will probably outlast me. At least I hope so.

Steve
    [FONT=Arial]I know it's time to head for home when I can only see in color.[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've gotten into this system recently and own the CZ 80/2.8 Planar and 50/4 Distagon HFT lenses.

Its perfect for my nature work and I can get more macro shots off during the good light than using a view camera. The tilt is extremely useful - a typical landscape shot does not require much tilt. Often the tilt, even if its not necessary to pull the shot off, will still save me 2-3 f/stops which can be a godsend with a wind.

Here's an example - SL66, CZ 80/2.8 Planar, Velvia 50 - White Trillium

If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, I can see this is an old post.. but...
    Mike, How do you use the tilt for landscape photo..
    And other question about the sl66 + tilt.. how do you focus?.. because I have the standard focusing screen, and it's very dim and I can focus in the center, because of the lupe, but arround it, it's really difficult to me to get 100% (or 90%) sharp focus..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Old or new post; any conversations about the SL66 are to listened to carefully. I made a "life" trip to Monument Valley this Spring with my 4 50 year old children and the SL66 was the main shooter for that portion for the trip. (Other portions;main shooters/Upper Antelope Hasselblad SWCM/ Mesa Verde hasselblad SWC/ Big Bend Pentax 67/usw) It was the trip of a lifetime and the Rollei performed exactly as was expected. The results are on my web site

www.loganphotographics.com

Under The "What's new" And the Monument Valley" section. Please feel quite free to have a look and make any comments you like. What is important , to me, at least, is that the Rollei SL66 and the Zeiss lenses are perfect. To me, I would be happy to live with that one camera for the rest of my time on this earth. KEH has an SE now..... tough not to just go get it! But one's enough, I think.
    Logan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin