Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,162   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

zi nettar question

okay people...i really need some help here. i have a zeiss ikon nettar 515/2 in mint condition. it belonged to my grandfather and he kept EVERYTHING he owned in mint conditon.

i have the viewfinder and camera opened, but i don't know where to go from there. any help would be very appreciated.

i was very excited to find out that i could purchase film for this camera. and i'm excited to figure out how it works. i don't know a lot about photography, so give me the idiot's guide, please.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Uhm... let me see what I can do. It's easier to do than explain in words. This is a camera for 120 roll film and if I understand it correctly it has a lens which on the front says something to effect of "105 mm". So, in that case it makes photos with a size of 6x9 cm.

It's pretty basic, you have a latch on the left or right side of the camera, which opens the back. Now you need a roll of film and you also need an empty spool. On the bottom of the camera you have a winding key. Put the empty spool on that side. On the other side you put the new roll. Open the new rollfilm, thread it across, over to the empty spool. Wind on the roll film (with the winding key) until you can see a marker that says "start" or two big arrows on each side of the film. There should be a small red dot somewhere in the back of the camera which is where the start or arrow markers should be. When that's done, close the back.

On the back there's either a little red window or a little door which you can push aside to see a red window. It's used for winding the film into the right place and to get it ready for a new photograph to be taken. In the window you'll see numbers (1,2,3, etc). These are the frame numbers of each possible photograph that you can make on the roll. Wind it on to see number 1 in the window, click the shutter, and then wind on to number 2 and so on.

This also means you have to remember when you took a photo and wind on to a new frame, otherwise you get what is called a double exposure. I'd say that you need to test it out from from here. Sacrifice a roll of film to learn how to load and use the camera. Get back with questions and I or someone else will help you out.

Hope this helps a bit,
    J
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had one of these for a while. It is simple and basic as others have said, and produces 6x9 negatives which was no good in my case as at the time I had an enlarger which would only do to 6x6, so I wound up giving it away. There's a red window you use to wind the film on, but the best bit is that they fold up to back-pocket size, which is great. I also really like the little mini-waist-level-finder which should be attached to the lens, you can twist it so you can view in landscape or portrait format.

Have fun with it!

Euan

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the help...but my main issue right now is getting the back opened. If I had my digital camera right now, I'd take a pic of it. I'll try to describe it. On the side of the viewfinder there are two knobs that don't move (they look like they are holding the two parts of the back together.) The other side has the winding key and an opened hole where you can see through to metal.

I hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If its anything like my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515 (the 6x4.5 smaller version) , theres a lil latch/knob up on the top that you pull to the left and it snaps open the back. Same when you close it and push the latch to the right til its locked in.

Basically you put the film in the bottom, pull up some of the leader into the empty spool in the top wind it a lil bit til you see the arrows on the bottom. Close up, and wind until you see (1) in the window.

Set your shutter speeds and aperture on the front. Figure the focusing distance and set on the front. Cock the shutter, look thru your viewfinder to compose the shot ( or shoot from the hip ), Fire the shutter, wind the film til the next number shows in the window, and repeat the above. When you've shot the last frame, continue to wind the roll until its all rolled up on the top, take the top spool out and seal as instructed, and move the used spool on the bottom to the top to serve as the new take up spool.

Its really not that hard.

By the way the knobs on the viewfinder side dont hold the back , they are just the peice of metal that holds the spools in. Theres a latch on the top of the camera somewhere as I said.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You might want to visit Nelsonfoto discussions, where a number of the participants in that forum have a Nettar or a camera like it.

http://nelsonfoto.com/phpBB2/index.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Google is your friend.... run a search and there is a couple of manuals available on line
    IIRC David Richert website has one.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ahh, a great camera! As some stated, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Have you ever used MF before?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought a Zeiss Ikon Nettar. It looks like brand new, it's so beautiful, looks like it's never been used. My question is where I could check the year it is manufactured?
    - Heli

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could find some information in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum127/13530-zeiss-ikon-serial-numbers.html. And Pacific Rim Camera has some good general pages, too: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zeiss/zeiss.htm
    Last edited by Jerevan; 08-03-2006 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Extra information
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin