Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,661   Online: 1150

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh I have to agree, the Yahoo interface is one of the worst, it's really just a Usenet group with a web interface.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello Mike,

I´m also a very interested SL66 user and find the website/forum about
    it a great idea.

please do it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the meantime, does anybody have some images to share with the group? The tilt helped here big time - try handholding Velvia with a 'Blad and maintain that depth of field

If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, I just recieved my SL66 in the mail two days ago. I shot my first test roll with 800 kodak NC. It worked well. I under exposed a bit, but overall got some decent shots.

I had terrible luck with my one Macro shot. WAY underexposed. I'm afraid I have a lot to learn about this camera and the macro exposure factors. I can't make heads or tails of the charts in my users guide. I know, I'm an ignorant amateur, but I want to learn! Could anyone please give me the basics on Macro exposures, in laymans terms?

Also, I'm using a Voigtlander VC meter II attached to my accessory shoe, and it seems consitent, though as I said my pictures leaned toward the under exposed. I'm new to the VC meter too.

Anyway, I'm very excited to have this camera, I used a Yashica Mat for about a year and wanted something more versatile/professional, and now that I've got it I'm in a bit over my head. Any tips/help would be appreciated.

I'll share pictures once I take some that are half decent.

Thanks.

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have the older SL66 body with the 80-150-250-80R lens scale or the later one with the 80-150-120-80R scale? The latter scale has bellows extension factors written on it that tell you how much exposure to add at various levels of extension. You can calculate it for any lens using the millimetre scale if you can do math in your head easily.

Mine is the older scale, but what I did was look at the newer type scale in the Rollei manual I have in scanned form (pm if you want), then penciled in the bellows extension factors for the 80, 80 reversed, and 150. Now I only have to think if I'm shooting macro with the 50mm lens.

There are also tables in Mannheim's "The Rolleiflex SL66/SLX Way" if you can find a copy. I may be able to help you out there too if you PM.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the newer scale, 80/150/120/80r

So, when the scale says –1 that means to stop up one step/or a longer exposure by one step? I'm assuming that's what it means.

I'm going to order up a 30 dollar photocopy of the Mannheim book soon. It's a very exciting camera to hold, I hope I get the hang of it soon. The Yashica Mat was so simple [due in part to it's limitations] but I'm excited to learn every feature on this camera [after I get macro under controll, I'll get into it with the tilted back] and in general more about photography.

What film do you guys like the best for color and b/w? I'm really new to all this so forgive my basic questioning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The SL66 is more than capable of filfilling the needs of even seasoned professionals. Its more than enough camera for me. I still keep a few Rolleiflex TLRs around - they are a lot easier to manage and I can handhold them at slower speeds.

Indeed, if you see -1 you open the diaphragm one stop or slow down your exposure by one stop. You'll note when you reverse the 80mm, you can have up to -2.5 stops of exposure to add. Don't forget and expect LONG exposures if you are shooting subjects in the field with slow film. Some of my most used films:

Colour: Velvia 50, Velvia 100F, Reala 100, NPS160, NPH400 (note all Fuji)
    B&W: Efke 25, Fuji Acros 100, Kodak T-Max 100, Ilford FP4+, Ilford HP5+, Kodak Tri-X

IMO, film choice is very personal and application specific. I like slide films but they are very contrasty for some types of lighting, especially Velvia 50.

My advice regarding macro - its not easy. I cut my teeth for many years with a 35mm Nikon F3 shooting macro. Let me tell you this - doing macro in MF increases the level of difficulty significantly. Typical mistakes beginners make are not stopping down enough, not learning to pay critical attention to what's in the background, not finding the best camera position.

Check out Shaw's book "Closeups in Nature" for a general overview in well-written, simple language.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm RF

So will this happen?

nt
    LJ

PRB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

You can by a photocopied version of the Rollei SL66 Way by Manheim from Hadley Chamberlain at www.hecphoto.com. He is a good source for lens, backs and other things SL66.

Onward,
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay, so they aren't much, but I've just uploaded 6 photos from my second roll of film through my sl66.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanbennett120/

I've gotten a few okay macro shots, and I'm happy with the exposures. These are scan from 6x6" prints, so the clarity suffers a bit. Mostly due to my weak scanner and the matte paper texure. I need a film scanner when the prices drop a bit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin