Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,700   Online: 849

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Count me in for an SL66 users group.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike, thanks for the tip on the John Shaw "Closeup's in Nature" book. I found a used copy the other day and it's a really great book. So many amazing pictures and I've read about half of it and there is a lot of helpful info there. He explains it all in a very clear style.

I think it will be a big help in general, not just for nature close-ups. Too bad it's so focused on 35mm, but most of the info translates easily to Medium Format SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Happy with Rollei

I have had a SL66E for more than a year now, and I have been really satisfied with it. I have 5 lenses for it, 40,50,80,150 and 250. I have shot exclusively slide film with it, Fuji Astia to be more precise.

For any new (and perhaps old) users a couple of small things, which may be good to know:

1) the original Rollei strap has clips, which make it easy to take the strap off. The springs of these clips are not (at least mine) very stiff, so it is quite possible that they may be accidentally opened, and then the camera may fall. Fortunately mine did not, but a couple of close calls happened.
    I took off these clips, and I seriously recommend this to everyone. How often do you need to take the strap off in a hurry, anyway?!

2) the lever at the back of the magazine for changing between 120 and 220 film counter is easily moved unintentionally when carrying the camera around on your belly. If you have 120 film loaded, it doesn't cause any big problem because you will notice when the film ends, anyway. BUT if you have a 220 film in the magazine and have pushed the lever accidentally to the 120 position, the rewind knob will pop out after 12 exposures, and you may not be alert enough to look at the counter. I have lost half a roll of 220 at least once this way.
    My hint is to put a piece of black electrical tape over the lever so it won't be accidentally moved.

3) I have 2-3 times opened the magazine right after the rewind knob popped out after last exposure (forgetting to wind my 220 film to the end). I thought that I would loose almost the whole roll due to this, as 220 film does not have any backing paper. To my relief I only lost the 2 last shots due to this "light leak", because undeveloped slide film is rather untransparent. May be good to know some day. :rolleyes:

well, that's it for now... happy shooting!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips.

I actually experienced the film indicator slip this week. I was shooting 120, and I think the switch was flipped by the foam on my pelican case (shooting out on a kayak, so I needed something watertight incase I tipped!) as I lifted it out of the foam.

Anyway, it must have happened a few shots ago because when I put it back into it's position for 120 film it is now between numbers! I assume I'll either have an overlapping frame or two, or extra space between a frame or two. We'll see. I'll be using electrical tape from now on and checking up on the switch.

I found that I can get an extra shot on 120 film by pushing the film back wheel back into place and giving it a half turn. You just have to be careful that you wind it far enough without going too far or you expose that shot accidentally or overlap your 12th frame. I think it is exactly a half wheel turn.

Has anyone else done this? Is it a bad idea? It seems to be harmless to the camera/back. The only real risk is the last frame, or the "bonus" frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've also uploaded a few new photos from last weekend. All sl66 shots. Some taken from a kayak and some closeup wanna be John Shaw shots of bugs on flowers.

No touching frames in my last two rolls through the same film back. I think I just hadn't tightened the film tight enough on the take up reel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanbennett120/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW, there is an update on all this. A fine gentleman in Australia is chasing the dream for me

http://www.rolleiclub.com/

I suggest you check it out once in a while - it will probably come to life in a few months.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. Good to know that one of the finest names in Photography has a replacement for the lost websites and groups.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello Mike,

I guess the group is not happening after all. What a pity, I'd be happy to join it, too!

Cheers,
    Petr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would echo the suggestion to join the existing Rollei Users group, which has a distinguished and active and mostly civil membership of people using Rollei TLRs and SLRs. You can find them (us) at this URL:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rolleiusers

and we maintain a Flickr gallery at this URL:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/rolleiusersgroup/

Why recreate the wheel?

Sanders McNew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An SL 66 UG seems like a nice idea (I have a couple of SEs, and I use them, as I do my other Rollei cameras) but I find it difficult to see what function a dedicated group would serve that isn't already served by APUG and photo.net. I've just had a look at the Yahoo group and nothing I read was to do with Rolleis: it could just as easily be general APUG traffic.

Best,
    Helen

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin