Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,404   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Autocord magnifier

I was looking forward to receiving one of the newer autocords that I
    saw advertised. Turns out the camera wasn't the one in the picture which
    was mint. The camera wasn't even the same model it was made 5 years
    previously and it was in pretty bad shape but the shutter and focus
    worked really well. The real problem was the magnifier: the lens was
    surrounded by a lot of yellowed adhesive and didn't even focus on the
    ground glass! Is that normal for the magnifier? I was impressed with
    the overall build of the camera but the magnifier really turned me
    off. Needless to say since I paid for a nearly mint camera and it
    wasn't even close I returned it. I've used a Yashica Mat 124G but had
    film advance problems so I returned it. I had a Mamiya C220 but it was
    big, bulky and I didn't like it nearly as much as teh Yashica so I sold it. But the magnifiers on both of those cameras were really good. I really don't want to invest in a Rollie,
    any thoughts?
    Last edited by scott k; 07-31-2006 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Images
    Good Evening, Scott,

I sounds as if the magnifier is a cobbled-up replacement job and that you are the victim of false (or at least highly inaccurate) advertising. Out of about 70 E-bay purchases, I have encountered only one somewhat similar situation: a 35mm SLR body which arrived in usable condition, but with several very obvious defects which were not noted in the item description. It was only a $35 deal in that case; hope you got by for less.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The the autocords that use the add up numbers, are the shutter speeds and f-stops not marked? If not how are you using a hand held meter?

Thanks

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

answers

I'm pretty sure the magnifier was replaced-it didn't focus on the ground glass. If I had only paid $40 I would have used a loupe to check focus but I paid three times that much plus shipping for a beat up camera I've had good luck with the auction site. I just won a Nikon 50mm series E lens for 6$ last night to put on my FM2n for my 'walk around camera'. I wanted a decent tlr for my vacation next week but it's hard to beat $6

Mike-There are real f-stops and shutter speeds indicated in the readout window on top of the viewing lens. If I remember correctly the readouts look just like the Mat 124G

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Judging by all of these problems, you can't afford not to invest in a Rollei Besides, I've seen some Autocords going for more than many Automat Rolleiflexes.

Always sorry to hear such a story - if that was an ebay camera, I sure hope you lambasted that seller with a decisive negative.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin