Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,471   Online: 873

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much everyone for your comments! It sounds like the differences are pretty much what I had surmised from the reading I did, but I wanted to consult some more experienced folks before I made the jump.

I will likely be going with the 503CW. I'd like to put together a nice custom kit, but I think for now I'll have to just go with an 80mm lens, waist-level finder and 6x6 back (I'd like to add more lenses and a 6x4.5 with different finder), and build up my collection as I have the cash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ill hyave your mamyia. Seriously!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm in the same position as the OP with a couple of additional queries....

Are the film backs compatible across the 500 series? I see on eBay that some film backs say they are "Hasselblad 500 CM..."

Any reason these wouldn't work on a 503 CW?

I presume that the lenses are all compatible through the series - am I okay on this presumption?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I found this article very helpful.

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

Hope it helps.
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    I'm in the same position as the OP with a couple of additional queries....

Are the film backs compatible across the 500 series? I see on eBay that some film backs say they are "Hasselblad 500 CM..."

Any reason these wouldn't work on a 503 CW?

I presume that the lenses are all compatible through the series - am I okay on this presumption?
    500 series means 50x or 501, 503, and 500, includes 500c 500c/m. All the film backs are compatible. But some prisms won't work with some polaroid backs. The 50x series are very basic. Box to hold the film back, lens, and viewfinder. You can mix and match black, chrome, whatever tickles your fancy.
    All lenses will work except for the shutterless types, which I don't have, and I don't know what those are called. You can tell cause there aren't any shutter speeds on the lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham

yes, the backs are universal between these bodies. BUT.......
    the older 12/24 backs are a bit trickier to load. As in, they don't have the auto start capability. It's more like using a red window & resetting the counter to zero.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great info - thanks all.

Is the 503 the only one of the500 series that has TTL metering?

And (maybe an "impossible question), why does the 553ELX seem to be "less desirable" (going by eBay prices) than the 503CW ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi George,

I am not a Hasselblad shooter or that knowledgeable, but as I recall, the EL, ELM,ELX series all have a built in motor. The rechargeable batteries may need to be replaced however depending on their age, usage, and condition.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George, the 503CXi does also have the TTL but as far as i remember not the gliding mirror.

jan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've a 503CX. It has ttl as does the CW. I've yet to purchase a flash for it though.
    For what I saved by going with a used 503cx as opposed to a used 503cw, I was able to purchase a used back, a like-new waistlevel finder and put some money down for a 80/2.8C. I won't miss the winder, although the keyfob-like remote 'clicker' I do wish I could use. The gliding mirror i'm not sure if I would miss although I don't plan on using any long-ish lenses..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin