Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,831   Online: 952

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad: 500cm versus 503cw?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so please let me know if this has already been discussed. I did a forum search without any results.

I'm a recent BFA Photo grad, and I'm looking to move from my old Mamiya 645 Super to a Hassy. I've been scouring the web trying to find a good solid comparison between the 500CM & 503CW that isn't written in marketing fluff speak. So far, I've only found positive reviews for each (separately) and a couple of threads around the web where people mentioned that the 503CW is better, but did not state a reason.

I've done some reading on the Hasselblad website, but really what I need is an objective run-down on what I'd be getting by spending more money on the 503CW. I'm willing to spend the extra cash, but I'd like to know that it's worth it.

Thanks all. I'm excited to have found this forum on the recommendation of a KEH employee!

Lane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Lane,i am not a Hasselbladian myself but this website may be of some interest to you:

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/index.html

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you don't need the metering, etc offered by the 503, the 500 c/m is a great camera. You will of course need a separate meter though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    503 will take the motor drive. I also use a different viewfinder to and an A16 back so I can shoot as a 6.x4.4 instead of a 6x6.

mike
    www.michaelsloane.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The 503CW not only takes a motor winder, also has TTL flash capiblity

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the 503 CW also has the "Gliding Mirror" system, which means that the image on the groundglass is equally bright across the entire viewfinder, even with long telephoto lenses.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As already pointed out by the Flyingcamera the gliding mirror is a good improvement if you expect to use longer than 150mm lenses. The top of the frame will be cut of in the mirror on older models like the 500.
    The 503CW also have a sensor for TTL for flash photography.
    You would also know that the 503CW can only be 10 years old but it is of course possible to check the age on a 500 if you can get the serial number.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    the 503 CW also has the "Gliding Mirror" system, which means that the image on the groundglass is equally bright across the entire viewfinder, even with long telephoto lenses.
    True, although I use the 250mm on my C/M and I quickly learned to adjust for the top of the frame being darkened with this lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent
    True, although I use the 250mm on my C/M and I quickly learned to adjust for the top of the frame being darkened with this lens.
    It's just an improvement - makes life easier. I've got a 500 CM and haven't had a problem, but I don't have anything longer than a 120. It's something you can work around if you're only shooting the long lens occasionally, but if you're doing it on a regular basis, or for pay, I'd imagine that compensating for it would quickly become more tedious than spending the extra cash to get rid of the problem.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    It's just an improvement - makes life easier. I've got a 500 CM and haven't had a problem, but I don't have anything longer than a 120. It's something you can work around if you're only shooting the long lens occasionally, but if you're doing it on a regular basis, or for pay, I'd imagine that compensating for it would quickly become more tedious than spending the extra cash to get rid of the problem.
    That's a really good point, which I often forget to consider. That is, one's point of view on whether a convenience is worthwhile depends on how often one would use it. In my case, I rarely use the 250. I use the 80 at least 90% of the time, the 150 about 5% of the time and the 50 and 250 combined take up the other 5%.

Someone who uses longer lenses more often would find the new mirror system more convenient than I would.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin