Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,666   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, its a way to let go of some of the technical aspects of photography. Something I think many photographers need to do. Also, you don't know what kind of negative your going to get. It makes me force myself to make something out of very little. Use the creative juices a little more. Also, sometimes its nice to go on a bike ride, with some gear, and not have 40 pounds of junk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think people's opinion depends a lot on where they come from photographically. I'm at my best shooting nature and I can't think of any reason why I would ever even consider using a Holga for subject material like that. I'll stick with an 80 year-old plate camera for those times I feel like switching things up.

There are some fantastic Holga shooters out there - Sam Liu comes immediately to mind.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry Marko, you don't even need a Holga to do vignetting on your negatives, you do that with your current equipment very easily!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronicaguy
    Holga's are a fad - and that's it. Like tattoos, the Rubic's cube, and Cabbage Patch dolls.

In a few years all Holgas will have taken their rightful place - the trash.
    I doubt that... The plastic camera movement has been going strong for nearly thirty years. And I'd say it's stronger now than ever. Hardly a passing fad. It's not my main axe, but every once in a while I find shooting with one of these 'toys' an absolute blast. You may hate them, but the aren't going away any time soon. BTW, didn't Bronica go bye-bye?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    Don't worry Marko, you don't even need a Holga to do vignetting on your negatives, you do that with your current equipment very easily!
    Now thats just rude! Damn rubber lens hood
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First you ask if you should get one, now you want to know why anyone would. Personally, if I were going for the unpredictable and fuzzy look, I would just use an old box camera rather than spend money on a Holga. Look at Marcy Merrill's Junk Store Cameras site for lots of good examples. As for the Lubitel, get a Ciroflex instead - it's a better camera, doesn't leak, and is probably cheaper after shipping.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i was going to pass on replying to this thread, but perhaps because of the heat or old age i am back.

markok, you need to be careful with calling others rude, when you yourself are rude and disrespectful on occasion.
    People try to help you and you make excuses , disregarding valuable and helpful information.

with regard to toy camers; all holgas do not leak and all work done by holgas is not necessarily bad just as all images using a lecia are terrific. The proper tool in the hands of someone who knows how to use it and get the most from it , is the bottom line.

I have seen terrific work from a toy camera and crap. Terrific work from a Lecia and crap. The need for people to make sweeping global comments about one being superior or other are missing the point of the photographer and their vision.

To consider one is better than another based on camera name becomes a disservice to photography.

There are photographs on this site, and the photo world in general i don't "get or understand". does that mean the tool used fail, or just the fact that the work does not appeal to me?

More and more these types of threads feel like trolling; (at least to me)
    Last edited by ann; 08-02-2006 at 09:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no Holgas but rather like the effect. I use a homemade bendy lens - interesting results. And yes, this is just a fad for me but it is an enjoyable one!
    see http://boxesbellows.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Now thats just rude! Damn rubber lens hood
    Nasty, yes. Rude, I don't think.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Could be both
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin