Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,917   Online: 976

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How can people like holgas?

Ive seen some great art done with them, but for the normal person, why would you buy one? there all plastic, plastic lens, viggeting LIGHT LEAKS? 2 shutter speeds and apetures?
    THey say the faults is what you like, but id prefer my 35mm pand shoot than a holga.

Thats my rant!

For MF in getting a lubitel off ebay.

So, how can you like them?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it doesnt take much to get it to do what you want - they're cheap and a great tool to have in your armoury. But if you dont like it, that's fair enough - it's just not the camera for you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    I appreciate them because lot of other photographers' Holga pictures make even my photos look good, and I can use all the help I can get. For those who can't afford a good Argus C3 or can't make a optimized pinhole camera, the Holga may be a poor, but viable, second choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The same way people like bitter beer instead of sweet wine, or horror films instead of happy end romances or spanking and bondage instead of gentle carresses, or Dostoyevski instead of Dan Brown and so on...

People have different tastes and especially artists that seek something specific or something out of the ordinary.

If Holga aren't to your liking, they aren't to your liking.
    The things you mentioned are exactly what people look in Holgas.

If you want to try out MF cheaply get an old folder in good shape or a cheap TLR like a Seagull.

I have both a Hasselblad and an Holga. Those two are not interchangable, they are of the opposite spectrum.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think it also has to do with the look of the negatives - for some subjects, the interesting effects can add to the flavor of the print. Like any other treatment, you have to match your subject, your goal, and your methods to get the best results.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. The Diana is a much better camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Ive seen some great art done with them, but for the normal person, why would you buy one? there all plastic, plastic lens, viggeting LIGHT LEAKS? 2 shutter speeds and apetures?
    THey say the faults is what you like, but id prefer my 35mm pand shoot than a holga.

Thats my rant!

For MF in getting a lubitel off ebay.

I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    I agree. The Diana is a much better camera.
    the haslblad is even better
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    'Better' is completely subjective. Is a Hummer better than a two seat hybrid? Perhaps, if you need to drive off-road and aren't worried about gas costs. Is the ubiquitous Hasselblad better than a Mamiya? Perhaps, if you have the money to spend on the lenses you need to make the images you want, but not if you have a limited budget and still want to photograph. Everything depends on a large number of variables and there is nothing in the world that is the 'best' at every application...

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    'Better' is completely subjective. Is a Hummer better than a two seat hybrid? Perhaps, if you need to drive off-road and aren't worried about gas costs. Is the ubiquitous Hasselblad better than a Mamiya? Perhaps, if you have the money to spend on the lenses you need to make the images you want, but not if you have a limited budget and still want to photograph. Everything depends on a large number of variables and there is nothing in the world that is the 'best' at every application...

- Randy
    True
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Holga's are a fad - and that's it. Like tattoos, the Rubic's cube, and Cabbage Patch dolls.

In a few years all Holgas will have taken their rightful place - the trash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin