Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,696   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

First try with Yashica D YUCK!

I just viewed my negs. and they all seemed out of focus.
    My development was fine but the results were horrid. Could the taking or focusing lenses be out of kilter? The camera had received quite a wack from it's previous owner. Enough to knock off the name plate but no denting.
    Is there a way to test the lenses for correct focusing without ripping into the body itself? A cure if they need recalibrating?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, first you have to check if the viewing lens focuses on the infinity well. Turn the focusing handle to infinity, and check it on the screen with loupe. If everything's okay, check the taking lens - open the aperture to maximum, set shutter to B, use a release cord with fixator to keep the shutter open. Tape a piece of 3M Magic Tape (or other fine-grained Scotch tape) across the film window - you should tape it to the planes where the film goes, of course. Check the focus on the infinity with a good loupe. If the image is blurred, the lenses went out of sync somehow, and they have to be adjusted. BTW, maybe a lens element has unscrewed from the shutter - check it also? In a very worst case, the lens panel can be bent from impact, and it would require a serious CLA to ensure the parallelity of film/lens planes

Cheers, and good luck - Zhenya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, forgot to say one thing - the whole issue can be related to a misplaced mirror in upper camera's compartment! If it's loose or lost its position, the system would go out of sync. That's usually indicated by off-infinity of viewing lens, and it's easy to cure - I think you would need in any case a good cleanup of focusing screen and mirror, right? There's four screws around the folding hood, so it's easy to get there without risk of damaging the camera. Check the infinity setting of upper lens, and if it's off, check the mirror - it could be displaced in an impact, the Yashicas don't have a strong mirror locks inside Also a focusing screen can be displaced - it's kept in place with two flimsy springs, no screws at all.

Hope it would help,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Zhenya.
    Good advice from a fellow photographer.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently had to fix a Rollei with a bent focus mechanism. The camera had clearly been butcher by a camera shop's so called repair service (or at least some other hamfisted moron).

At the cost of a Yashicamat or other TLR, I'm not sure it is worth sending out for complex repairs. However it might be a good camera for you to learn how to repair it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zhenya is correct.

I had (many years ago) a Yashica D. Everything out of focus except when I used distance scale instead of ground glass.

The mirror is held in place by a springy sheet metal bracket. It can slip out and down, effecting the apparent focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mirror had slipped out of it's metal bracket but even when replaced the dang thing is out of focus when set to infinity.
    Just wondering if I could use my Blick (clip on Russian rangefinder) to calculate the distance and set the lens accordingly?

Mike

Images
    Good Morning, Mike,

Of course, but if you think the mirror placement is the problem, it would make more sense to work on getting it set correctly. As Zhenya has noted above, it not difficult to determine if the taking lens is focusing properly. If your camera is achieving infinity focus when the scale so indicates, your problem is either incorrect alignment of viewing and taking lenses, or mirror displacement. I'd be hoping for a mirror problem, because that would probably be a lot easier to deal with.

Konical

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format

EUREKA!!!!

Thanks for reminding me to take Zhenya's advice Konical.
    I followed his instructions and it appears that the taking lens is in focus. I guess when the previous owner dropped the Yashica on it's head it knocked the focusing lens out of kilter.
    Next time I use the D I will use my Blick rangefinder for distance measure and the focusing screen for composition.

Thanks Much Folks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear Mike,

I am very glad to hear that my advices worked - to be frank, Yashica's focusing system is indeed a real soft spot of the whole system. Can't really understand why did they make it so very flimsy and prone to misalignment.

I am pretty sure that your viewing lens is OK in focus too, and I warmly recommend you to fiddle with the mirror - if it's put without any gaps under its bracket on downside, and two side brackets, and locked down on upper side, the focus should be back It's REALLY difficult to misalign the upper lens on this kind of TLR, it's screwed to place VERY firmly with a very serious jamming nut. Try to find the infinity by moving a mirror, and the old poor Blik is a last resort

Cheers, and good luck - Zhenya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin