Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,429   Online: 838

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Definitely go for it. Used is ok when you just playing around "doing your own work" but, if you're shooting weddings profeesionally, I can't imagine there's even a hesitation to buy a new hassy.

(never look back).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really hate to steal threads, but this is probably the most sensible thing that I have heard for a long time. Thank you for that!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenzanonBen
    Certainly go for mint as new, or brand new. One of the things that many people do when thinking of making an expensive purchase is pondering over it too much, as if needing to convince themselves? You only get one life, if there's a little voice inside saying you should do, then go for it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether you buy the Hasselblad or not, sell the shares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If its a straight business decision, its probably dependent upon whether you can defray the cost against your business. If its not a business decision, then a carefully selected used one will probably be fine.
    If you find you DO need it, my experience is that Hasselblad UK service is exemplary, even if it IS costly.
    I hope that I'm not breaching protocol by mentioning two suppliers, but I have had good experiences with two used dealers myself. I do NOT recommend these people on any other basis than that, but you may find a guide to price there.
    Peter Walnes from Somerset, (who I have seen advertises on APUG, take note) and Paul Waller of Commercial Cameras at Ludlow, Shropshire. (not too far away from you)
    Consider this: Most lenses are better than most photographers...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Used vs. New

Sorry I'm a tad late getting to this thread. But I agree with those suggesting that you consider used "preowned" Hasselblad equip. vs. new. KEH.com in Atlanta is a good, reputable place to buy used gear. Their prices are reasonable, their warranty is good, their return / exchange policy is quite reasonable, great and their rating system, IMHO, is excellent. I've always bought bargain grade from them and it seems better than every one elses good or excellent minus.

Service is available at KEH or David Odess, who runs his own shop. http://www.david-odess.com, whose repair and maintenance work is excellent too.

Take it light.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Count me among the "hate to swerve the topic" crowd, but if you use the Hassy professionally, can you somehow write off the purchase price on your taxes? Capital investment and all that? (please note: I am neither a CPA or a tax attorney so I could be talking out my ass on this)

If so, hell yes buy a new one. And whatever extended warranty you can get. Then ride that thing like a rented mule. Make it pay for itself.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Shooting wedding or portraits professionally I prefer to have one NEW body and then a used backup. That way I know the wear and tear is from me on my terms not of the previous owner. Used is fine but I still prefer to have 1 body that is new if you can afford it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to ask the same thing as Zenrhino. If this is your business then you can claim the VAT on purchases and claim depreciation on the new equipment.
    If it's not your main business I would still buy new as it's very hard to explain to someone on their wedding day that your secondhand camera is playing up a bit. I you do buy used then I would also spend the money saved on a CLA for your existing camera so you've got a backup.
    OT - I have utmost respect for anyone who does wedding photography. I won't even attempt it for friends.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    As I'm now shooting weddings etc. and I feel my old 500C/M is not really reliable enough (although it has not let me down), and needs a major servicing this winter anyway, I'm thinking I might just sell the shares and buy a NEW 503CW!

I see Robert White offer the kit for £2000+vat - which seems to me like a good deal (especially when compared to digital!) as it will probably cost me something like £350 to have the 500 serviced anyway.

so do I sell the shares and buy the blad?
    Whether you sell your shares or not - really couldn't say if it was the best (I have no idea about LA's future prospects and such).

You want to keep in mind that if you were to buy a new kit for GBP2000 (appx USD3800) and had to sell it right away the loss would be higher than if you buy something in 8+ to 9+ condition and went through the same exercise.

The benefits are, of course, that you will have the full life of the product ahead of it, and as a working photographer, this might be very important.

We just went thorugh the same thing with a 30 year old 500CM - though we didn't need a light meter and so on, so got a circa 2000 501CM with the 80mm T* lens and sold off the 500CM to finance this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to add: As a side note, it is nice to see that there is still some film based wedding photography around. My sister is getting married in April '07 and she had to get one digitally based since that was all that was affordable. When I got married 13 years ago - this was not an issue!

(I suggested that she and her hubby-to-be get some studio portraits done on a LF camera - drum scanning if she *had* to have a digital format in additon to a large print)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin