Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,934   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do I sell some shares and buy a NEW Hasselblad?

I've had some shares for ages and ages in the company called Laura Ashley - those from the UK will be familiar with the name and their chain of shops selling womens clothing and homewares like furniture and curtains.

They have had a pretty rough time for years and 5 years a go I bought a load of shares thinking that they must eventually rise - and they went down - until recently they have just managed to creep about 7pence above what I paid for them.

As I'm now shooting weddings etc. and I feel my old 500C/M is not really reliable enough (although it has not let me down), and needs a major servicing this winter anyway, I'm thinking I might just sell the shares and buy a NEW 503CW!

I see Robert White offer the kit for £2000+vat - which seems to me like a good deal (especially when compared to digital!) as it will probably cost me something like £350 to have the 500 serviced anyway.

so do I sell the shares and buy the blad?

Matt.
    Last edited by Matt5791; 08-03-2006 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like a better investement to me, unless ofcourse you have a better place to put the money in.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless you have reason to expect the stock to go higher, sell the shares. What to do with the money is a separate question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're shooting weddings as a paid pro, you really do need one reliable body plus a working backup (500c/m ideal).
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    so do I sell the shares and buy the blad?
    I would say YES!, but you have to do your own cost/benefit analysis...

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would probably look at a very nice used one, if it is enough cheaper I would probably get that, if it isn't all that much cheaper, I would get the new one. Either way, I agree that you need a very reliable body and your current one would be a nice backup.

Edit: I just priced a like new to excellent plus kit at KEH, a body (LN-), A12 back (LN), and 80 2.8 CFE lens (EX+) and it came to about $2500. B&H sells that new for $4000. Not sure if this is exactly what you are looing at, and the customs and shipping will probably about kill you, but at least it gives you an idea about price. Stuff that is in such good condition has surely not been used ny a pro, at least not much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Paul. I think a really excellent used Hasselblad would make more economical sense. Just make sure it is great working order and hopefully if from a dealer or camera shop has a good warranty.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looking from my own perspective, if I was paid for doing photographic work, I would invest some money in having good, reliable equipment. And yes, I would probably be buying it new. Or maybe a mintish, demo unit to chop off some of the price and buy a brick of film, too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly go for mint as new, or brand new. One of the things that many people do when thinking of making an expensive purchase is pondering over it too much, as if needing to convince themselves? You only get one life, if there's a little voice inside saying you should do, then go for it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I`ll second the investment in good condition second hand gear, what`s the point to pay premium, if you can get great quality used material?
    Maybe you stay with more money to invest on that extra optic?

Up to you, good luck!

Cheers

André

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin