Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,578   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 46mm film

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

46mm film

46mm film seems to exist. It is available on long rolls. Does anybody know which cameras need it? What is the history behind it?

I posted this under MF because I thought 46mm counts as MF...
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forty-six mm film is for long-roll portrait cameras. It can also be cut into 25" lengths and used on 127 spools if you have kept the backing paper. Frugal Photographer sells 127 refill kits that are basically pieces of 46mm film cut off of 100 foot rolls of Kodak Porta 160NC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pandino
    Forty-six mm film is for long-roll portrait cameras. It can also be cut into 25" lengths and used on 127 spools if you have kept the backing paper. Frugal Photographer sells 127 refill kits that are basically pieces of 46mm film cut off of 100 foot rolls of Kodak Porta 160NC.

Si,
    It comes in various perf configurations also. I have several long rolls of it in the fridge. Konica 160 and I believe an agfa 160. They work nice in my Yashica 44.
    You need to know someone who works in a good photo shop to get them developed and at least proofed (and your spools and paper back).

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Images
    46mm also was the largest format that could be mounted in a 2"x2" slide mount and dropped into a standard slide projector. Known as the "Superslide".

When I was working as a free-lance cameraman on large multi-projector, multi-screen slide shows, IBM standardized their shows on it so every production house where I worked had the 46mm machinery for their Forox cameras. It was rarely, if ever used for any client but IBM. 35mm was by far the industry standard. It was an awful PITA to glass mount.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, a pain to mount but a few "feature" (the new product, logo, prize, destination, etc.) super slides at the end of a show cah sure get peoples attention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Si,

You need to know someone who works in a good photo shop to get them developed and at least proofed (and your spools and paper back).

tim in san jose
    Or somebody who develops thier own film. 46mm is 127 and all the plastic reels have settings for 127. Would be a pain doing 100 feet this way but okay for smaller amounts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    46mm was a format used among other things in cameras that took yearbook pictures in schools. You load some military-looking brute with a big roll of it, and shoot a few scores of nerdy, jocky, princessy, or artsy student types so they have wonderful souvenirs of their worst days in life.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film for Classics also has 127, and there are a couple other places that have it too (at least one of the banner ads places here has 127).

Images
    Is 46mm the same size as 127 with, or without the perfs?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does this 46mm film come without perforations?

I just bought a fixxer upper grey baby Rollei so cheap 127 is becoming relevant in my little world
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin