Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,029   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    You're a pretty brave soul taking a SL66 in a kayak!

My thoughts exactly. You easily could have toppled over by the sheer weight of this machine!!

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or its sheer terrorist threat - I'm ticked because with this retardedly small carry-on size departing from Heathrow, I'm afraid my SL66 will now have to stay at home for my trip to Europe this week. Particularly the 6.2" dimension is a problem and I can't risk it + 4 lenses going to the hold for sure destruction.

What exactly does this accomplish besides me not wanting to fly anywhere any more?
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was a little spooked to bring the 66 out on the water, but I had purchased a water-tight Pelican case, the 1120. As you can see in the pictures the water is very still, no rapids, hardly any current and my kayak is a Wilderness system "Pungo" marketed toward fisherman and photographers due to it's stability. My wife is in the yellow "old town LOON" kayak which is much more tippy and shakey.

It is fun though. I'm just extra careful. First thing I do when I get the case out of the hold is get that strap around my neck!!!

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    Or its sheer terrorist threat - I'm ticked because with this retardedly small carry-on size departing from Heathrow, I'm afraid my SL66 will now have to stay at home for my trip to Europe this week. Particularly the 6.2" dimension is a problem and I can't risk it + 4 lenses going to the hold for sure destruction.

What exactly does this accomplish besides me not wanting to fly anywhere any more?
    Much as I love my SL66 (best medium format SLR ever made IMHO), I can tell you about cameras and European vacations. Having lived in Europe for ten years, I learned that I took fewer pictures when burdened down with my SLR's and 4X5. Probably 75% of all the photos I took were done with Fuji 645 rangefinders which were a delight to use and very easy on the shoulders and neck. Sometimes I also took along the Fuji 6X7, which was also a lot lighter than my Pentax 6X7. I usually took along my GS645S with fixed 60mm lens for B&W and my GA645zi with 55-90 zoom for color. Both with lots of film fit nicely into the small size Domke bag for carry-on.

The compromise, of course, was lack of lens interchangeability--I had to zoom with my feet-- but I have no complaints about the sharpness or contrast of the lenses. The Fujis are superb in that respect. My old GS645, despite having its front lens cell violently ripped off the body when it slipped off my shoulder into my whirling bicycle spokes, is still cranking along just fine without ever having seen the inside of a shop. (I managed to reattach the lens cell on the dining room table that evening.) The rangefinder is sometimes a bit sticky, but a good knock fixes that.

They're getting a bit hard to find now, especially the GS non-auto models, but they are fine little beasts.

Larry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now that I've been shooting with my SL66 for a few months I have learned a few things.

First, the camera is amazing. My shots are sharper, even with the mirror/FPshutter vibration, than with my Yashica Mat. I love this camera. It's heavy, but not TOO heavy with a comfortable strap/bag.

Second, the one thing I would change on the SL66 is the little switch on the film back for 120/220. It's too easy to move. I've screwed up image spacing (no overlaps but they get close) on 120 and recently lost the last few shots on a 220 roll due to having switched to 120 and the back thought the roll was finished!

I wish it had a small spring lock like on the bay I attachments for the Yashica Mat. A simple improvement that would keep the switch where you want it. Now I've learned a piece of tape is needed.

I've been shooting lots of Velvia 100f now. I'm hooked on slide film and got a few boxes of Gepe slides, both glass and glassless and also purchased a Brumberger projector with a 6x6 and 35mm carrier. It works amazingly! I also got a Realist 620 for both formats and that works great as well. I can't tell which is better. I'll be leaving one at my inlaws house. Both cheap and both project sharp crisp images.

My Voigtlander VC meter II has been incredible too. My exposures are coming out really well on the slides, and I know there is not much room for error with slide film. I highly reccomend this little guy.

Well, that's all. Just a short update. Thanks to everyone here who helped out with suggestions and tips when I was getting started.

J

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Is Harry Fleenor still at it? I understood he closed his business several months ago.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanbennett120 View Post
    Now that I've been shooting with my SL66 for a few months I have learned a few things.
    Second, the one thing I would change on the SL66 is the little switch on the film back for 120/220. It's too easy to move. I've screwed up image spacing (no overlaps but they get close) on 120 and recently lost the last few shots on a 220 roll due to having switched to 120 and the back thought the roll was finished!
    Well, Rollei sorted that out - they removed the 120/220 switch altogether and made dedicated 120 and 220 mags for the final version. Try finding a few 220 mags now though - they aren't easy to get.

Glad you like the SL 66.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the SL66SE manual it states:
    <quote>
    Important: before the cable is screwed in, the release button must be engaged in the "release locked" position!
    <end quote>

Whether locking the release or not makes any difference might depend on the cable release itself, and how you press the plunger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanbennett120 View Post
    ...Here are my latest results...http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanbennett120/
    Your images "Water Lillies?," "Pads" and "amytownSL66" don't seem to have made use of the SL66's unique feature: the ability to tilt the lens down. Even though that tilt is accompanied by some fall, it's a great opportunity to put near/far subjects within a depth-of-field volume suited to them. Exploiting this capability will likely increase your satisfaction even more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sal, you're right. I haven't had the chance to really explore the benefits of the tilt. I've tried with some close-up work, but that's very difficult. Those shots you mentioned would have been ideal, except that both of the water lilly shots were taken from a Kayak, so getting the right height/angle with the camera would be very difficult I think. You're sort of stuck with a certain height/angle that you can shoot from, PLUS the kayak is drifting! SO, maybe after I master the use of the tilt on solid ground I'll try to implement it on the water.

Thanks for the comment though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin