Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,283   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mirror lock up helps a lot with my Mamiya 645. I made some photos down in Carlsbad Caverns and experimented with making posters, they looked pretty good. My handheld shots aren't as sharp, though not too bad if I keep the shutter speed at 1/250 or above.

Doug

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    Mirror lock up helps a lot with my Mamiya 645. I made some photos down in Carlsbad Caverns and experimented with making posters, they looked pretty good. My handheld shots aren't as sharp, though not too bad if I keep the shutter speed at 1/250 or above.

Doug
    You can easily go 20x24 with 645 negs or trannies. Get a cheap one made and see what you think.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you print digitally on a machine like a Chromira or a LightJet, I would expect that you should easily be able to print 24" x 30" from a tripod mounted image, particularly with the mirror locked up. I frequently print 20" x 30" from my Leica 35mm transparencies from these machines.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Pamela,

For me, there's an immense difference between colour and black and white, and another immense difference between scanning and wet printing.

With B+W wet prints (which tend to be 90% of the pictures I care about), I find that up to about 3x I can get 'contact print' sharpness and tonality; up to about 4x - 6x, it's still excellent; and then, because of the half-tone effect, I rarely like the tonality until 7x - 10x, when the half-tone effect disappears again. The reason for giving magnification ranges is that so much depends on the film and developer.

With scanned colour (the other extreme) I've been perfectly happy with A3+ prints (roughly 12x16 inch) off Leica and indeed Voigtlander trannies. I've never been inclined to go bigger. Like Claire, I don't regard bigger as automatically better and indeed I often prefer smaller prints.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Like Claire, I don't regard bigger as automatically better and indeed I often prefer smaller prints.
    Pamela:

It is with fervent truculence that I attempt to represent the case for large black and white prints. Having lived in Manhattan for twelve years, I can certainly appreciate limited wall space and shorter viewing distances. However, certain landscapes scream for enlargement. I'd say Glacier Bay is one. Try it as big as you can project. As Roger said, the larger the magnification, the more the image is compromised. But are you looking for an exact representation of the negative, or can you extract a little more drama? Personally I avoid grain at all costs, but many people like it. The subject should guide your limit of compromise in grain, tone, and acutance.

I shoot 6x6 Tech Pan (au revoir) and Efke R25 (props to the boyz and cherubs in Samobar, Croatia) films through Zeiss optics and regularly enlarge to 40 x 40 inches. My subject matter is mostly abstract architectural, which in my definition includes land, sky and sea scapes. Is scape a word? Yes.

But I digress. The point, and I do have one, is to try it all. 20x24 trays are $70 per set of three. For really big prints, use APUG to find quality master printers for very reasonable prices. Alexis Neel http://www.alexisneel.com/en/is a good example.

Cheers,
    Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    This is such a delightful thread, thanks for all of the opinions.

Most of them are color, all hand-held. We [actually, my husband, but I'm not blaming] forgot our camera bag and tripod at home, so the Hassy SW/C on which we'd splurged was unavailable, as was the tripod; when we realized the error, we quickly found a store and bought a used Pentax 645N before embarking. I didn't think about the tripod until we were leaving, because I usually shoot handheld. So it is. I'm grateful that I at least had a camera and that my husband took care of the kids for an hour while we were in Glacier Bay so that I could snap a few shots.

I'm still muddling over all this in my mind. We don't have an obvious place to hang a large photo, but Glacier Bay is so beautiful and I do think a large photo of the right caliber would be a sight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin