Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,295   Online: 1172

Thread: Bronica Experts

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bronica Experts

I have a Bronica SQ-AI and I was wondering what is the difference between the S and the PS lenses...is one better for color...if I am primarily shooting b&w, does it matter which I use? there is a price difference between the two...

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PS lenses are the newer generation, supposed to be sharper design. I have both and really see no difference. Best part about them is being newer, theres less chance of getting a wornout shutter than there is with the S variety, but only by a little. If your budget is tight, get the S and use it till the camera wears out, you'll be happy with it.
    Gary Beasley

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't see a noticeable difference between S and PS images either, in sharpness or colour or saturation.

The performance differences between S and PS are ( according to Bronicas ex-European distributor) more marked as the lenses get longer, and I only have an S 50mm , because the filter thread is 67mm just like most of the others whereas on the 50mm PS it is much larger. Further, PS lenses have click stops at half stop intervals not full stops as have the S lenses. However you can easily set the S lenses to an intermediate point between the click stops since the lenses open/close down accordingly.

The age point however is relevent. The PS lenses were introduced in 1985 and I guess that a PS lens could be anywhere from three to twenty years old. The S lenses are between 20 and 25 years old. Its arguably that difference that explains the higher price for PS .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The performance differences between S and PS are ( according to Bronicas ex-European distributor) more marked as the lenses get longer"

Funnily enough, I was told that the difference was greater with the wide angles because it "was harder to design a wide angle than a telephoto", so who knows? Prices now are so low that I think you should just go for the best/newest one you can find.

Shooter
    35mm
    I and a friend each owned Bronica SQ cameras in the 70's. The wde angle lenses and the normal were of the S variety. The 150mm and the 250mm were not very good lenses. I sold my Bronica. He later upgraded to th P series. All of the lenses were quite satisfactory.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin