Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,171   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Rollei Sl66 Metering Hood

Does anyone else use one of these things? I just bought one and I f-ing hate it. You have to set the shutter speed on the hood to match the shutter speed on the camera, then manually stop down the lens until you find the right fstop and then release the manual stop down and fire. My god, this sucks. Any out there use the Kiev metering hood for the SL66?

William

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I Almost bought one of those. Instead I use an unmetered Rollei Prism finder and my spotmeter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    I Almost bought one of those. Instead I use an unmetered Rollei Prism finder and my spotmeter.

Same here

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This looks like what you want:

http://www.baierfoto.de/Rollengl.html

I don't have one. I've been using a Voigtlander VC Meter II. It fits right on the accessory shoe and is very easy to use.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet2.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll third that. TTL metering is a crutch IMO.

I don't see any advantage to using an uncoupled TTL meter vs a handheld meter. It is in theory its a good tool for macro shots but in reality the meter is probably never pointing in the correct spot without changing the composition. I find it more straightforward to incident meter and apply the bellows extension factor.

The meter in the SL66E and SL66SE models might be handy for shooting fast paced.

Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    Same here

Jaap Jan
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an old Kiev metering prism that I use on a pentacon, and the meter is a lot more trouble than it is worth. First, it is not coupled to anything- you set the film speed, set the maximum aperture of the lens that is mounted, then spin a dial till the lights in the finder tell you it is right. You then read the exposure off the top of the meter and set the camera. If I have to take my eye away from the prism to set the exposure, what is the point?
    My other gripe, and keep in mind mine is the really old style prism, is that it has a bad tendancy to get turned on and off coming and going from a bag, and the meter wheel gets knocked all about because it sticks out just looking for stuff to hang up on.
    I like the prism; it makes the pentacon like a big 35 slr, it is bright, and I can focus well with it, but the meter sucks big time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just as a point of information - the Rollei meter is both a spot and an average meter. I did find it very useful when using the bellows extensions. Also, if you set the meter and camera to the same shutter speed and use the stop down lever on the lens - it is very easy to get the correct f stop setting by just turning the lens ring until the meter reads OK.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, I've had great success with the ttl prism on my Pentax 67 and I shoot portraiture,handheld mostly. So, I thought the ttl hood for the SL66 would be a grand idea. But shooting handheld and trying to fiddle with the stop down switch and aperture ring is a pain in the ass. Guess I'll use it for another week or so and if using it doesn't get more intuitive, back on ebay!

William

Quote Originally Posted by rmann
    Just as a point of information - the Rollei meter is both a spot and an average meter. I did find it very useful when using the bellows extensions. Also, if you set the meter and camera to the same shutter speed and use the stop down lever on the lens - it is very easy to get the correct f stop setting by just turning the lens ring until the meter reads OK.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to havw an SL66 with one of these hoods. I was less bothered by it than are you since I used it mostly as a viewfinder with a seperate incident meter. I saved all the monkey business of TTL exposures for situations that made it useful.

Theses days I use a Contax RTSIII with a number of options for TTL metering. I do not make much use use of the capability with Contax either.

This does not mean that the meters do not work properly. It is less of a hassle for the tripod user. Handheld it can be a PITA.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I adapted both the Hasselblad PME45 and PME90 metered finders to my SL66. They are absolutely marvelous! Spot, average, and incident metering with both finders. Works like a charm.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin