Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,981   Posts: 1,632,897   Online: 1164

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 645E prism finder compatibility

Hello!

I'm looking at getting a better medium format camera than what I'm using and I'm looking at a (used) Mamiya 645E but I'd like to get a prism finder, with or without a meter, to use as well. My problem is that some at KEH.com say something like:

"AE Prism (PRO) with cap"

"AE Prism N (SUPER)

"AE Prism (M645, 1000S) Meter Inoperative"

Does this mean that these finders only fit the Pro, and Super models? Though, the bottom one says M645. I thought that every manual focus mamiya 645 camera was an "M645."

If I'm going to get a MAMIYA M645 645E, is there a difference between the mamiya 645 prism finders so much to where they won't fit on the 645?

Thanks!!

Andrew Laverghetta

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The 645E comes with a built in metered finder that is not interchangeabel. It is a very nice finder though and has built in diopter adjustment from -5 to +5 diopters.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 645E comes with a fixed, prism finder. You cannot change the finder. Therefore, a waist level finder is not an option.

There is a built in meter in the finder.

In addition, unlike the M645 Super or M645 Pro or M645 ProTl, the 645E uses film inserts only - you cannot use interchangeable film backs.

The 645E allows use of a Rapid Winder - a thumb operated, 35mm like winder. There is no power winder for that model, although some apparently have had success mounting the power winder for the older, M645 1000S to it.

All manual focus Mamiya M645 lenses will work on the 645E (as well as on the Super, Pro and Pro TL models). They all use the same film inserts as well.

If you want to look at the M645 Super, M645 Pro or M645 Pro Tl, most of the accessories are interchangeable between them, but not all. Some of the AE prisms and winders differ, as do some of the smaller parts. As an example, if you buy the Mamiya left hand grip, the connector between it and the electronic shutter release socket is different between the Super and the Pro (and it is a PITA to figure which is which).

The Super is often very inexpensive, but it is the oldest of that range, and the gears (and probably a few other parts) were strengthened when that model was replaced with the Pro.

I own two Supers, and one Pro. I like them all. I could see replacing one of the Supers with a 645E, because it is lighter, it has a built in diopter adjustment, and I'd like to have one with the thumb operated Rapid Winder.

Hope this helps.

Matt

P.S. The Mamiya America website has lots of useful information and a pretty good User Forum. You can find it here:

Mamiya America

One warning though, it is Internet Explorer oriented - if you use Firefox, you must install the User Agent switcher to have it mimic IE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ah, so that makes sense now. I guess that I just kind of assumed that people just put the finder on them when I saw them online. Soooo, the film inserts could be though of as a normal film back but you can't take them off mid roll without ruining film, right? I think I saw a picture of one of the film inserts on that website by searching 645E film insert.

At the moment, I'm not 100% sure if I'd like to go with the 645E or the RB67 which I understand is a heavier camera and such along with less frames. I really like the extra negative space but I'm not sure if the extra space is worth it because I feel 11x14 and slightly larger is as big as I will probably go. 16x20 at the most but that's at the very most.

I also saw, do you think that $214 is a decent price for a decent RB67? Seems a little low to me but it's on KEH in BGN condition for that price. Their description of BGN seems to mean that it might not look 100% but should work well.

Thanks a lot!

Andrew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't leave out the Mamiya 645 1000s, as it also has a viewfinder that you can change, and a motordrive option. It's built like a tank.

The RB systems have been selling for peanuts lately. Chnaces are good that you can pick up an RB with film back, viewfinder, lens for $200-$300.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin