Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,525   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    The TLR is my secret favorite camera.
    Why a secret? I like TLRs, and waist level finders on my other cameras. No secrets here.

Like many others have said, that meter is probably gone by now. The cell does age, so unless you want to spend a bunch of money getting it replaced, just use a handheld meter.

CGross
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Have a CLA done by Mark Hama. Mark worked in the Yashica factory so he knows these things like the back of his hand.
    Would you know the contact info for Mark Hama and possibly an approximate cost for a CLA?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    markhama.com has his contact info. I have found that the meter on my 124g works very well, use it for chromes and neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like many here, I love my 124G and have never had a battery in it. I use a handheld meter. It's a wonderfully sharp camera.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos
    Would you know the contact info for Mark Hama and possibly an approximate cost for a CLA?

Thanks
    My CLA cost $75 about 18 months ago. My wife actually bought me the camera for a present since it was the camera I learned photography on. She found a mint one on ebay for $55 (with shipping). Yashica was mispelled and it was in a wrong (non-photography) category.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you do decide to shop for a Yashica TLR, consider the older ones, too. The Yashicamat is similar to the 124 series except it doesn't take 220 film and has no built-in meter. The Yashica D and 635 have knob film advance and manual shutter cocking, but otherwise perform much like the later models if they have the Yashinon lens instead of the three element Yashikor. I've found shutters on Yashica TLRs sometimes unreliable, but the cameras are now available cheaper than a CLA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a slightly rough Yashica-mat sitting here waiting for a full service and upgrade to leather. Bought it for around $40 including shipping. Speeds are slow, and it's a little dirty, but otherwise decent. Also in the fix bin is a first model Rolleiflex 3.8, and a Frankencam Rolleicord V. I also have a really nice Yashica 635 that I recently finished, it's now dressed in bright red leather and looks great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The differences between a 124 and a 124 are extremely slight but the difference in price is usually 3x or 4x.

Ironically, the older 124 has metal gears where the 124G uses nylon -- so there's a good chance that the 124's will ultimately last longer.

(I too will vouch for Mark Hama, he patched-up my 124G after it was home... to an ant colony! (ack))

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want to thank everyone for their replies.
    The meter is working but I'll use my hand held Sekonic.I contacted Mark H. about a C.L.A and was quoted a price of $135.00 for complete repair and CLA plus $30.00 shipping. Almost the price of the mat124 G.
    A bit off topic but last year when I spoke to Nortown (most recommended Canadian repair shop) about having my Nikon's C.L.Aed they said to use them until they malfunctioned rather then spend $$ on preventative maintenance. Kind of makes sense unless one was taking their gear into extreme conditions or out of country for a long period of time.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    Why a secret? I like TLRs, and waist level finders on my other cameras. No secrets here.
    I prefer to use a magnifying hood chimney on the viewfinder. Usual folding WL viewfinders have difficulty in composing and focusing well outdoors, unless the viewfinder is shaded nearly completely. The easiest way to do so is to put the face right on the finder with magnifier poped up. So I just use the chimney with 3.5x (1e1g, most likely, coated) and 6x (3e3g, most likely, coated) magnifier (switchable) with my Mamiya C3, at 3.5x mode, almost always. With the chimney, I have to put my eye on it, but practically speaking this is exactly how you must use regular WLVF outdoors anyway, so in effect I lose nothing.

I also carry this setup on a monopod, either Benbo Trekker or Manfrotto 3016.

The quality of magnifier glass is superior on this chimney (sharp to corners) than the one on folding WLVF, and of course there is no stray light so I get very clear image on the screen, which is very easy to work with.

Like many others have said, that meter is probably gone by now. The cell does age, so unless you want to spend a bunch of money getting it replaced, just use a handheld meter.
    Yashica MAT 12/24/124/124g use CdS photoresistors and simple circuitry so the cell doesn't go bad like selenium photocells. More of a problem is that the built-in meter sucks, since you just have to find a correct exposure first and then shift to desired aperture or shutter speed therefrom. With a L-208 or other meters you can get all combinations at a glance. Another reason why I carry heavy Mamiya beast is that I want better optics than Tessar (and I can't afford a Rolleiflex).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin