Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,117   Online: 958

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica Mat 124 G

My friend is giving me his for a week. Sort of a test drive in the hope I may purchase it. You know,shoot a few rolls,kick the tires,get the feel of the camera.
    Anything I should pay attention to as far as using the on camera meter? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not that there is anything in particular wrong with the meter, but I never bother. I use either a hand held or sunny-16. It takes the old mercury cells, so you'll need a Wein cell or equivalent if there isn't one in it. The Yashicamats are nice cameras, though the advance can be a bit loud.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used to own one, years ago. I don't remember enough about it to give you advice, but I can tell you it was a pleasure to use.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the meter does work, there is an adapter to use regular Zinc-Air hearing aid batteries. It works with MOST camera that use the PX13 batteries. I don't have the link, but you can find it by Googling Nikon F meter batteries.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto on using a handheld meter or sunny 16. I would suggest shooting some chrome as well as print film. I think you will be surprised at the quality of the images one can get with this relatively inexpensive camera. I know I was.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Images
    Good Evening, Mike,

I agree regarding the meter. I've had a Yashica-Mat for years and use it occasionally. I can't recall ever depending on the meter and have long ago simply removed the battery. Enjoy the camera; it can produce very good results.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Not that there is anything in particular wrong with the meter, but I never bother. I use either a hand held or sunny-16. It takes the old mercury cells, so you'll need a Wein cell or equivalent if there isn't one in it. The Yashicamats are nice cameras, though the advance can be a bit loud.
    I did some research on good light meter for TLR use. The result is:

http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php/L-208

I'm more used to L-408 myself, but when I just walk around with my TLR and not even a camera bag, I found this cheap little meter is good enough for negative films. (I bought this meter just for my TLRs... and so far it's working very nicely. The only complaint is that they should make an L-shaped attachment so that I can read the meter from top! Can someone custom machine a "prototype" and give me one :-))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't even keep a battery in mine. They're nice cameras. Two things to watch for if you get around to buying your own: 1. Make sure the film advance is smooth. 2. Have a CLA done by Mark Hama. Mark worked in the Yashica factory so he knows these things like the back of his hand. Oil from the shutter gets on the internal surfaces of the lenses.
    Last edited by magic823; 08-23-2006 at 11:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have both a 124 and a 124G. Removed the batteries years ago.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 124 and a 12. When Carol Miller did the cla on the 12 I asked her to skip the meter part. I use a Polaris meter that is really basic and simple. It also fits in my pocket. Just developed a few rolls and I'm very pleased. The TLR is my secret favorite camera.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin