Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,572   Online: 787

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RB67 or RZ67?

Hello,

I am considering stepping up to a better MF camera for studio type work. I have been shooting with a Yashica-D for sometime now and am looking for something a little better. I am looking into something 6x7 and the Mamiyas seem to have a good reputation.

My question is, do you guys think I would be satisfied with a RB67 or should I fork over the extra cash for a RZ67? What exactly are the differences? Are there any other cameras I should consider, I was looking also at Pentax 67's.

Thanks in advance.
    Andrew Nelles
    www.andrewnellesphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure similar vintages of RB are much/any cheaper then similar vintages of RZs.

Differences off the top of my head.

RZ is electronic with all that means.

The RZ can use RB lenses with some limits. The film plane is further out so you have to focus the RZ a bit even at infinity. The RB I don't think can use RZ lenses.

You need an adapter I think to use RB backs on RZ but things don't go the other way.

The RB has a 70mm back but it uses perforated film. A 6x8 back to I think.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an RB and I think it's a great camera if you like all manual controls. Whatever your choice it would be a good idea to get a newer lens with better coating. The coolest thing is the revolving back. I recently purchased a metered prism for my RB and it now weighs about 7 pounds! If you will be using it for studio work, I don't think that a metered prism would be necessary. Also, if you buy used check the foam seals in the camera and the back for wear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the RZ w/RB lenses and everything works perfectly! Love the system. Oh, and the non-metered prism is an RB unit while the waist level unit is an RZ. No problems anywhere.

drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like my RB, and while I have RZ lust to a certain degree, I don't think I would make a big difference in my life. I have a non metered prism and a waist level and I use both. I find that for certain circumstances, the prism is really handy. It is heavy, however. I have settled on a ProS model with the newer ProSD backs, which I like much more than the ProS backs. I think that the statement that a similar vintage RB is almost as much as an RZ is probably about right. The newer K series lense, which are the same as the RZ lenses but have the mechanical RB linkage are a lot more expensive than C lenses, which is what I have. I have been very happy with the performance of my lenses, for what that is worth.

I guess you need to look at your budget and what you want. I might think that if you have a limited budget, you should consider the possibility of getting an RB with multiple lenses and backs rather than an RZ with only one lens and back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So what exactly is changed between the RB and the RZ besides the electronic shutter?

- Thanks for all the help so far!
    Andrew Nelles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ANelles
    So what exactly is changed between the RB and the RZ besides the electronic shutter?

- Thanks for all the help so far!
    The RZ has more plastic and therefore is probably a little lighter, especially the prisms. The lenses were new, but as I mentioned, they were also released for the RB as the K series. The RB requires you to wind the back and cock the shutter in two separate motions, the RZ uses just one motion of the cocking lever on the body to also wind the film. The RZ has a relatively inexpensive (used, at least) winder that fits under the camera, the only winder for the RB is a whole different back and is kind of clumsy. The RZ can take an electronic cable release which is kind of cool because they made one that was about 25 feet long. (I had one for the Mamiya 645 Super, it is the same one for the RZ) I am sure that there are other differences.

In functionality, they are extremely similar. They are both rotating back 6X7 cameras (really multiformat, depending on the back) with leaf shutters in the lens that take interchangable backs and finders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 1 lever to cock and wind the film might have sold me on the RZ. I always seem to forget if I've pushed both levers on cameras with 2, I hate accidental double exposures or skipped frames.

Again thanks for everyones help. I just have 1 final question before I start shopping for a kit. It was mentioned there are different series of lenses for the RB/RZ. Anyone know if a list of the different series and what they are? Just want to make sure I will be knowledgeable enough to select a good one.
    Andrew Nelles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you try the Mamiya website they might have the info on users forum.

For the RZ I think it's:

Newest APO or ULD
    W
    Rest

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Contact your Mamiya distributer, and they will send you a brochure.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin