Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,670   Online: 898

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marco
    Isn't it likely that the 67s was originaly sold for 6X7 printing and fitted with a 35mm negcarrier later ? Or is it normal for besseler to sell their units in the smaller format grade forcing people to buy "condensors", lightchambers, negcarriers etc when upgrading ?
    Meopta enlargers are very common in europe and the ones I have had (all opemus) where sold with both 24X36 and 6X6 negcarriers and would do both formats with no problems at all. I'm looking for a Magnifax for my next darkroom (due 2-3 years) and I think it would take 6X9 without problems also.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know. I only wanted to point the attention to the fact that you don't need the carrier and the lens ONLY, you need to check (or buy) a condenser or a mirror box as well, depending on the case.

With Durst units (I don't use anything else) it is usual to find the enlarger fitted for 35mm in the shop, and then UPGRADE it with the proper mid-format kit. Some models have two mirror boxes which can be swapped with a sliding knob according to the format one wants to print. In few words: it depends.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you're coming from 35mm, you might want to consider the 645 format as a matter of ergonomics. Most of the 645 format cameras handle like big 35mm cameras and they won't feel so foreign to you, being a 35mm user. You might also consider a Pentax 67 for the same reason.

I use both a Mamiya TLR system in 6x6 and a Pentax SLR in 645. While there are lots of reasons to like the 6x6 negative, I mostly use the Pentaxes. A 645 negative blows away a 35mm negative in the same film and the Pentaxes make it as easy to take the picture as using a 35mm SLR. The 645 also gives you three or four extra shots per roll compared to a 6x6.

No matter what format or camera you decide on, there are some great bargains available right now in the used medium format market. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're near Dearborn / Detroit, I'd let you borrow one of my Ciro-Flex TLR's.

As an experienced 35mm user, I didn't find the move to MF a difficult thing. Thrilling, but not difficult.

Doug Grosjean
    NW OH / Dearborn MI (weekends)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Since you're coming from 35mm, you might want to consider the 645 format as a matter of ergonomics. Most of the 645 format cameras handle like big 35mm cameras and they won't feel so foreign to you, being a 35mm user. You might also consider a Pentax 67 for the same reason.

I use both a Mamiya TLR system in 6x6 and a Pentax SLR in 645. While there are lots of reasons to like the 6x6 negative, I mostly use the Pentaxes. A 645 negative blows away a 35mm negative in the same film and the Pentaxes make it as easy to take the picture as using a 35mm SLR. The 645 also gives you three or four extra shots per roll compared to a 6x6.

No matter what format or camera you decide on, there are some great bargains available right now in the used medium format market. Enjoy!
    When I first started out in MF I tried a 645 which almost turned me of. I then got a Yashica Mat124G and later a Bronica SQ-Ai which I liked a lot. What really exited me and still does is the square format. It is so different from the 2X3 and 3X4 ratio in 35mm and 645 that it really makes you (or atleast me) change the view on subjects. The square also lend itself to a lot of subjects better than the other formats.
    My current camera is a Pentax 6X7 MU which is a great camera too though I still regret the day I sold my Bronica. There will always be one reason to go bigger but with bigger negs camera size will increase and though the P67 is not that heavy and I am a big guy I still get aching shoulders and a sore back after carrying it around the whole day. Or rather did cause its been a while since I last had it out for a shot but thats due to other reasons
    If you like to go really close you will find that many MF cameras wont do that without extensiontubes or close up lenses. That came as a surprise to me being used to close focusing lenses in 24X36.
    The Mamiya RB and RZ series will focus very close because of the bellows so for close ups in a studio they will be great.
    Cheers
    Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    When I first started out in MF I tried a 645 which almost turned me off.
    Man...that's weird!

He wants to do portraits...not grand canyon type landscapes....35 is good for portraits and 645 does a great job of improvement over the 35. the RZ which I have, isn't the type of camera to do "walking around" portraits with. Its too heavy. Unless you are using a tripod for each portrait, stay away from the Rz/Rb and the Pentax 67...they're just too big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I agree in principle about the weight and size of the RZ/RB series are they really that much heavier than a C-330? Wedding photographers have been carting those around for years. When I started looking into a 120 slr this year the prices on the RZ/RB's had not come down in price as much as the 6x4.5's which was a major factor in my picking that format.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B.
    Man...that's weird!

He wants to do portraits...not grand canyon type landscapes....35 is good for portraits and 645 does a great job of improvement over the 35. the RZ which I have, isn't the type of camera to do "walking around" portraits with. Its too heavy. Unless you are using a tripod for each portrait, stay away from the Rz/Rb and the Pentax 67...they're just too big.
    A question of taste and view. I find the square 6X6 format suits portraits better than 645. Then again thats only my oppinion, great portraits can be made in any format even panoramic
    What did I say about the RZ/RB ?
    Well ok we shouldn' t be arguing these "which is best for...." but only give our best advise based on our individual experience.
    Cheers
    Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    I find the square 6X6 format suits portraits better than 645.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Me too.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Me too.

Cheers,

R.
    Me three... except for the "panoramic portrait" comment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin