Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,573   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a tiny Gossen Digisix; it easily fits into a pocket (any pocket) is extremly light and was quite cheap too. It has other "features" like timers (for long exposures) and exposure range over a scene. From my experience it's quite accurate, I've been using it in really tricky situations and was never let down.
    There is an adapter to mount it on a hotshoe, but I prefer to keep it in hand, or around the neck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Used Gossen Profisix SBC (also called LunaPro SBC, or something, elsewhere) meters come up on eBay often, and go for low prices. They are big, very sensitive ("possibly the most sensitive meter in common use"), use PP3-type 9-volt batteries and they can do incident and reflected readings. With an adaptor (also common on eBay) they can also do 15° and 7½° readings - not really spot, but usable. They do flash, but only with an adaptor. I have never used the flash adaptor, so can't comment on it. If you don't mind the size, I think that the Profisix is great value nowadays.

When teaching and doing workshops I have seen Sekonic L-308 meters provided. I think that these are very good, simple meters for flash and continuous light, reflected and incident. There is no spot function or accessory that I know of.

The simple little Sekonic L-208 does what it does just as it should do it. It has a useful indicator to show the angle of acceptance of reflected light. It also does incident light.

I have had a Weston Euromaster for donkey's years. I find that the 'Invercone' falls off too easily when the baffle is in the low-light position. It's not a big deal though. I prefer the Sekonic L-398, but that is just a personal preference - I'm not saying that one is better than the other.

Best,
    Helen

helen,

have you ever used the "darkroom attachment" on your luna pro ?
    i have one (new in box, now misplaced of course) and have never used it.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

I'm too ditzy to risk taking a meter out of a camera bag to use it in the darkroom. I seriously considered it, and tried one in the shop to see how they worked, but bought an Ilford EM10 when I eventually decided to get a simple meter for B&W enlarging. Besides, I think that the EM10 was cheaper at the time than a Profi-Lab or whatever it is called.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if you go up to the Yorkshire Dales and look around on the ground, you might find my Sekonic L-308 that I dropped up there somewhere... I've been using my Sologor spot or, when feeling silly, my Zeiss Ikophot; but with colour, you may want something more modern and accurate than the Ikophot (though it agrees very closely with my Soligor).

I am probably going to buy an all singing & dancing spot/incident/flash meter but if I only wanted standard + flash, I'd buy another L-308, or possibly the little Digiflash.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the tiny Gossen Digisix. Reads reflected and incident (I always use the incident) and is as accurate as your shutter. I have a Luna Pro-F for the studio but you don't want a meter larger than your camera and you certainly won't need to read strobes in the field...It's so small that it might be easy to loose- so mine has a brilliant orange lanyard...
    Good shooting,
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Hi John,

I'm too ditzy to risk taking a meter out of a camera bag to use it in the darkroom. I seriously considered it, and tried one in the shop to see how they worked, but bought an Ilford EM10 when I eventually decided to get a simple meter for B&W enlarging. Besides, I think that the EM10 was cheaper at the time than a Profi-Lab or whatever it is called.

Best,
    Helen

i know the feeling helen -- i think that is why i elected to lose it soon after it was in my possession.

but a simple enlarging meter does sound interesting ....

thanks!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been extremely satisfied with my Minolta Auto Meter IV. It has been extremely dependable for me. This model has been superceded and may be available at a low price.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    my Zeiss Ikophot; but with colour, you may want something more modern and accurate than the Ikophot (though it agrees very closely with my Soligor).

I've got an Ikophot which my father gave to me. It is surprisingly accurate - even for colour transparency film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My favorite meter is a Sekonic L-508, which has both incident and spot metering modes.

I also have a Minolta Autometer IV which I usually carry as a back-up. I like this meter but it has some kind of kill battery feature that depletes battery capaicty in 3-4 months even when it is not being used.

Sandy King

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    helen,

have you ever used the "darkroom attachment" on your luna pro ?
    i have one (new in box, now misplaced of course) and have never used it.

john
    I used a Gossen darkroom attachment many years ago and found it to lack enough sensitivity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin