Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,834   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What light meter

My old Leningrad meter has become completely useless and needs replacing.
    I shoot urban and rural landscapes plus other things as the mood takes me with B&W and colour negative films.
    Any recommendations for a cheap and effective metering solution? I guess a true spotmeter would be ideal but they seem expensive. What about a secondhand Western Master? Are there any brands that are known to be reliable and accurate and not very expensive.
    Or should I buy a lightweight and cheap (say Miniolta Dynax) camera with multi segment metering and lens to use as a lightmeter?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Images
    I LOVE my Luna Pro. My Sekonic is good but for some reason, when shooting on the fly, my Luna Pro is the go to meter when doing MF. not to mention I have never had to change the battery, I got it used and I would hazzard a guess that the batteries are the original ones.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently bought a Voigtlander VC Meter II for my Rollei sl66 and it has served me well. Very consistent exposures, very easy to read, and it looks very nice and right at home on old cameras. The newer VC Meter II cost me 175 new, but the first version can be found for closer to 100-125. The only real difference is the read-out arrangement. I needed the ability to adjust the shoe mount that the VC II has and the new readout was a bonus. it's a very cool, very small/lightweight meter.
    For more info see:
    http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet2.htm

or

http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet.htm

This one is going soon:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Voigtlander-VC-M...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by jonathanbennett120; 09-02-2006 at 02:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi jeff

for what it is worth, i have a lunapro sbc a sekonic and a minolta. the sekonic -- just like this one for not very much money. it is the meter i use most often. never read a situation wrong. i don't do any spot metering, just ambient and it is a nice little thing.
    even though i have 3 meters and use them in differnet situations, if i was to get and use just one meter and nothing else i would get a sekonic no questions asked.

good luck!
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    from my little experience I can tell I really should go for a digital meter.
    I have rather old digital sekonic and it does the job perfectly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Sekonic L-398M like the one in jnanian's post. I found that it is pretty much useless for anything but outdoor shots in fairly bright light. Its photocell is not very sensitive and has problems metering shady late afternoon scenes. Don't even think about using it indoors. I replaced it with an old Luna Pro F which is great, it can handle just about any situation, but it's a bit bigger, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want something cheap, flexible and accurate, you could try a Sverdlovsk 4 meter. Has ambient & "semi-spot" functions, and takes just about any 3.5-4.5 volt battery or combination that will fit. You could pick up a good one off ebay for less than $30.

See here for details.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Western Master meters, also sold under the Sangamo name, are cheap and reliable for landscape work since this is not generally too demanding of metering systems. The later Euromaster probably being the best buy. For greater accuracy in more difficult situations you should consider something with spot metering capability such as a Soligor spot meter, although no longer made they surface occassionally on eBay.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleyjeff
    Or should I buy a lightweight and cheap (say Miniolta Dynax) camera with multi segment metering and lens to use as a lightmeter?
    FWIW, I don't think buying a lightweight camera is a viable solution. It will be MUCH heavier and more unwieldy than a separate meter.
    Have a look on the : ffordes website There are quite a few secondhand meters on there, including some lunasixes amd westons. There is a secondhand Seconic l508, but I suspect that at £229 that is probably outside your price range. Nice meter though if you can afford it.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used Gossen Profisix SBC (also called LunaPro SBC, or something, elsewhere) meters come up on eBay often, and go for low prices. They are big, very sensitive ("possibly the most sensitive meter in common use"), use PP3-type 9-volt batteries and they can do incident and reflected readings. With an adaptor (also common on eBay) they can also do 15° and 7½° readings - not really spot, but usable. They do flash, but only with an adaptor. I have never used the flash adaptor, so can't comment on it. If you don't mind the size, I think that the Profisix is great value nowadays.

When teaching and doing workshops I have seen Sekonic L-308 meters provided. I think that these are very good, simple meters for flash and continuous light, reflected and incident. There is no spot function or accessory that I know of.

The simple little Sekonic L-208 does what it does just as it should do it. It has a useful indicator to show the angle of acceptance of reflected light. It also does incident light.

I have had a Weston Euromaster for donkey's years. I find that the 'Invercone' falls off too easily when the baffle is in the low-light position. It's not a big deal though. I prefer the Sekonic L-398, but that is just a personal preference - I'm not saying that one is better than the other.

Best,
    Helen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin