Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 908

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moskva 5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an M4. Nice toy. I got it from fedka.com--the only purchase from him, but it went great.

The camera I had was modified to do 6x4.5 as well as 6x9 and 6x6. I figured if the owner was willing to do that, it was probably a reasonable camera.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    ....My M5 had a few issues including a defective linkage in the shutter that prevented bulb from working.

That "B" defect seems to be a known affliction among the Moskwa cameras. Maizenberg devoted a lengthy discussion of this in his Russian camera repair book.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My M5 is definitely in "user" condition, and the double exposure lock has been removed. It extremely sharp - the important bits are all in excellent working order. I did have to fix a light leak round the red window, but that's all. Not bad for $20.

Either get one that's CLA'd and guaranteed, or go for the user condition - proof it's been used!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My M5 is in reasonably good condition too, I had to clean the winding mecanism to make it bearable tho; it was so hard originaly that I had a blister on my thumb !
    Also, make sure the two spring blades that hold the spools are doing their job; they /will/ be too lax unless you take them and bend them back in. They are the key to holding the film flat.
    Oh also, the red window /always/ leaks because of reflection on the film pressure plate. So always be careful when winding to have your back to the sun, and remember to close the window swiftly when done! I added some electrical tape inside to make the window smaller on that side.

Otherwise, despite being a "lefty" camera (why did they reverse the way the rangefinder worked in the Ikonta ??!) it's really great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One both the Super Ikonta C and the Moskva 5, the rangefinder mechanism can slip if it becomes too stiff with old grease and is forced. Many, many cameras have this issue.

It is a simple matter to properly service the rangefinder and re-collimate the lens to infinity.

[QUOTE=Russ Young]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160
    The advice I was given, was to avoid any mint condition russian camera as it probably never worked from the word go!

Stan, why didn't you tell me this years ago? My M-5 fits the description perfectly: its minty, accurate shutter and rangefinder, good bellows and just plain awful optics. Worse than most single meniscus lenses...

Maybe the front cell needs to be checked?

Buyer beware.

Russ
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one of these, and the results I get from it aren't too bad; however, I have a devil of a time handholding it steadily, and moved to Fuji rangefinders as a result. The Fujis are quite a big heavier but more ergonomic, at least to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Moskva-2. I like it but it does have a problem. One side of the negative is clearly 'off' though and part of the corner of the frame is occluded.

You can see it clearly on this negative scan. I suspect the pressure plate isn't holding it flat. Or, alternatively, I may have loaded the film slightly off so that it was running across the film gate at a slight angle.

On the other hand, the shots are extremely sharp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moskva2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Mockba 5 and I love it. It's in a fair condition when I got it, could use a CLA now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200682720365169228.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The spools on my M2 could move up and down in the chambers. I have to put some foam in the chambers to make sure they are not moving. Otherwise, it is very sharp. Sometimes too sharp.

Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan
    I have a Moskva-2. I like it but it does have a problem. One side of the negative is clearly 'off' though and part of the corner of the frame is occluded.

You can see it clearly on this negative scan. I suspect the pressure plate isn't holding it flat. Or, alternatively, I may have loaded the film slightly off so that it was running across the film gate at a slight angle.

On the other hand, the shots are extremely sharp.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonC
    The spools on my M2 could move up and down in the chambers. I have to put some foam in the chambers to make sure they are not moving.
    Jason.
    I might try that, thanks. I'm going to run a test roll through it later this week and see what happens.

Incidentally, if I do need to beef up the pressure plate, anyone know the best way to do it? To increase the pressure and keep it even.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin