Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,356   Online: 1195

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moskva 5

Shooter
    Multi Format

Moskva 5

I recently acquired one of these old folders in a trade. I took it out last weekend with me on a trip to Maine. I think some of the criticism this camera gets on this forum might be a little undeserved. I thought the results were pretty good. I'll post a few of them on my website tomorrow morning.
    [COLOR=YellowGreen][FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=3]Michael W. Graves[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [SIZE=2]Michael's Pub[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems that this is another case of the quality control issue with Soviet cameras - depending on the particular camera you receive you may love or hate it. My Moscow 5 works fine, I've enjoyed shooting both chromes and B&W with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to get a nice one. Is it likely that one in nice cosmetic condition will also be better functionally, or would it be a better strategy to look for one which shows more signs of use, on the assumption that it must have been good enough to use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    I'd love to get a nice one. Is it likely that one in nice cosmetic condition will also be better functionally, or would it be a better strategy to look for one which shows more signs of use, on the assumption that it must have been good enough to use?
    The advice I was given, was to avoid any mint condition russian camera as it probably never worked from the word go! My Moskva 5 is in good shape, but obviously well used with marks of wear on the backing next to the window levers etc. Works pretty well too, just occasionally the 1s shutter speed sticks, but otherwise no problems. Will be using it a bit more now I've got hold of a 3/8" plate for my tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160
    The advice I was given, was to avoid any mint condition russian camera as it probably never worked from the word go! My Moskva 5 is in good shape, but obviously well used with marks of wear on the backing next to the window levers etc. Works pretty well too, just occasionally the 1s shutter speed sticks, but otherwise no problems. Will be using it a bit more now I've got hold of a 3/8" plate for my tripod.
    My Moskwa-5 looks nice and minty. Shutter works, lens clean, aperture works. Those are its only good qualities. It can't be used for satisfactory shooting. It suffers from a congenital (read: factory) defect. The viewfinder was made in such a way that it can't show the correct view of what the lens is shooting. Even for rangefinders, there should be some concurrence of views .

Its metal top was stamped or milled incorrectly, hence the erroneous views. The original owner must have realised this and shelved it after using it once or twice, and stayed in the shelf until it was put on eBay and found its way to me.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with every used (even new!) camera, you have to test it carefully before trusting it for anything important.

My M5 had a few issues including a defective linkage in the shutter that prevented bulb from working. This was clearly a factory defect present from day 1, easily repaired with a little bending and filing of the offending part.

These cameras are not as rigid as 6x9 Ikontas but very capable of fine results.

Moskva 5, Velvia 50
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Images
    I have two Moskva 5's and a Moskva 2. All three required minor repairs to the bellows to fix light leaks as well as relubricating and recalibration of the front lens group. The Moskva 2, the worst looking of the three, is the best user because the viewfinder is centered over the lens. I love the 6x9 format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grover_500x700.jpg  
    Last edited by pschauss; 09-04-2006 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add picture
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Stan160]The advice I was given, was to avoid any mint condition russian camera as it probably never worked from the word go!

Stan, why didn't you tell me this years ago? My M-5 fits the description perfectly: its minty, accurate shutter and rangefinder, good bellows and just plain awful optics. Worse than most single meniscus lenses...

Maybe the front cell needs to be checked?

Buyer beware.

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Moskva 5

I have an M4 that shoots beautifully. The images are very crisp with excellent detail throughtout. It was purchased here in the US, it was definitely in "user" condition when I got it. I did disassemble the lens and
    clean it thouroghly then recalibrated the rangefinder with a piece of GG on the film plane etc. I've never had a lick of trouble with it, its tough as nails, and if I drop it in the mud I'll shed a tear but I won't feel the need to slit my wrists like I would if the same thing happened to my linhof!
    I use it mostly when I am going places where it is inconvienent to take a LF(ie business trips to Alaska) but I want to be able to make some high quality negative if the opportunity arises. No I have never taken my LF gear to Alaska and have never fished there either after 30 yrs of business trips just too busy working to enjoy it. Maybe next time..........?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Moskva 5 came from an ebay seller - cupog. He specializes in former Eastern Bloc photographic gear and most items are sold with CLA and warranty. As always with ebay, do your own homework and buyer beware, but I'm a satisfied customer, and planning to go back to him for a Pentacon 6 and lenses once I have the money to spare.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin