Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,112   Online: 878

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Medium Format Daydreaming

Just daydreaming about the following:

1. How many people are still using their medium format cameras?

2. What are some of your fond moments and/or experiences?

3. Which Do You Prefer To Shoot, Color or Black and White?

3. What type(s) of medium format camera/accessories do you own?

Me:

I use my Mamiya RB7 and Bronica ETRSI weekly in my home studio.

Every chance I get to use them is a great experience and then the development process is always exciting. Most rewarding moment was when I finally learned how to stop taking multiple exposures.

Shoot mostly B&W

Mamiya RB67 with 90mm and 127mm lenses
    Bronica ETRSI with 75mm lens

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also have an ETRS (not an 'i' though) which I like and use a lot. I originally got it with the 75mm lens and waist level finder but soon added the 50mm lens, plain prism and hand grip.

However, it is a bit bulky to take out when I want to go for a walk somewhere. Although I do still take the ETRS out, I prefer to take my Rolleicord V as it weighs much less.

I am currently thinking about something like the Bronica RF645 for this purpose though.

I normally use black and white film as that's all I print myself (I may try Ilfochrome one day). But I do use the occasional roll of Velvia 100 when the conditions are right. e.g. autumn colours.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used my Rolleicord IV, my Balda Baldax 6x4.5 (test roll in a well used camera, gummed up Prontor shutter and pieces falling off of it) and my Zeiss Ikon Nettar (although admittedly not with 120 film, I am doing cheapskate panorama stuff, running Efke 100 through it) just yesterday. All of them B/W. Best moment? When I trip the shutter - it's almost as magic as seeing the print coming out of the tray a good while later...

Best accessory? The green push-on 28,5 mm filter I finally got for my Rolleicord II.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 09-08-2006 at 05:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another ETRS here - I had no idea they were so popular!

The ETRS is my "travel camera" when logistics preclude LF. I've got 75, 150 and 40mm lenses, plain prism, two 120 backs, one 135W back and a Pola back. I just bought two extension tubes (14 and 42mm) to get closer, and a speedgrip.

Since I use the ETRS mostly on travels, I have only fond moments and special experiences! Highlights so far are Eritrea, Cairo, and Lofoten.

I also have a small selection of old MF folders, of which I tend to bring one along "just in case". I haven't tried colour film in any of those yet, partly because I'm all out of film at present!

Oh - and I have a Mamiya C3 too. Have to test that one too, one of these days - but just holding it makes me realise what a lightweight camera the ETRS is!

I shoot mostly B&W, with about 30% colour in the Bronica.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Rolleicord. I used to have a Hasselblad 500 c/m but found I was using the TLR's a lot more when out and about. And, to be honest, I couldn't see a great deal of difference in the end result.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looking at getting a Hasselblad as well. Thanks for all the comments!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photogolf

I don't use anything else. From studio portraits to street shooting I only use my Hasselblad.

When my first 501CM kit came in a shoe box as a christmas gift. Every time I use it is a fond experience, everytime I look at beautiful negatives and prints by it.

Black and White. Although color in MF (and imagine LF) has a beauty that 35mm just can't match.

A fairly complete Hasselblad system, including two bodies, four lenses, four backs (one polaroid), all of the tubes, pro shade, winder and even a level.
    All new btw.
    (like I have mentioned, I sold my soul to the devil for it)

Film and MF is pretty much alive for me.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photogolf

1. Yes. "Still"? Of course. I don't know how I could make motion pictures with them. I suppose I COULD - exposing one frame at a time ... but that would take a LOT of film...

2. Which would you rather have me quote, Volume I, II, III, IV ... XXXIV ... or? THere are approximately the same number of volumes labeled "Frustrations" ...

3. Both.

4. Single Lens Reflex - Hasselblads, two (2) bodies and sundry bits and pieces to go with them.

BTW ... I also have ADT, fifty (50) attack Rottweilers, my son-in-law (living here) is a Police Detective, Radar, Sonar, Heat-seeking machine guns ... and my entire yard is mined.
    Just in case anyone gets any "ideas".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me in as user of MF gear, "still".

Every time I trip the shutter and the noise wakes me up
    MF is so different form 35mm( and that other format) gear and I don't think it will be superseeded any time soon.

I do prefer B&W but at this time Im shooting color negs.
    (Fuji Pro 160S. To slow for everyday use with a f/4,5 lens)
    The quality you get from the bigger negs is just amazing

I have a Pentax 6X7 with a 45mm f/4 and a 75mm f/4,5 + the extensiontubes.
    Althought 6X6 is a great format too and I would like an SQA-i or a TLR I may have to settle with what I've got.

(4.1)
    I want a 90(105)mm f/2,8(2,4) and a 165mm f/2,8. A brighter screen is on the budget too.
    f/4,5 is just too slow for shooting kids and indoors and though the 75mm has a good angle of view I'd like something a little longer + a short tele for portraits.

Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya 645 all the accessories in the catalog. I use it when I can't decide on which format to take. Kind of a comfort tool. I like the format and I like loading and developing 120 film. I use to use 220 film but my arms aren't that long anymore holding the film up off the floor. I also have a complete 2x3 with tons of accessories. I can shoot roll or sheet. It's a very flexible system. Medium format is under rated in my opinion. I wish there were more films in all ranges for it. The Rollei Pan 25 is quite nice for BW. Ilford Pan 50 is very good and Adox and Efke are also good. Ilford and Kodak should make a 25 speed film.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin