Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,370   Online: 1057

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have translated the arabic script, it says 'NCC 1701 H, Starship Enterprise'.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought the Zeiss page said it was commissioned? I would imagine for a nature photographer that this would be mounted on a Jeep, sort of like a military machine gun would be. But who knows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually if you look at the profile, it looks like the monster from the early star trek series that ate planets!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There also appears to be a digi output on the back end.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    It does say in the text on the page it was built for a client..
    Built for a client... Arabic script on the side...

My guess is that the Sultan of Brunei has a pack pacyderm ready already!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

Could be, Ole, coz the Sultan likes expensive photo gear. From his Palace's windows, he could use the super-tele to shoot proboscis monkeys or crocodiles sunbathing along Brunei river. But the logo on the Zeiss lens besides the Arabic script doesn't look like the Sultan's crest. Besides that, the writing appears to be the Arabic translation of "super tele lens" and the official language in Brunei is not Arabic, but Malay, which is usually written with Latin alphabet nowadays, although sometimes old Arabic script (Jawi) is still used to write Malay.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe Hasselblad will have a rebate for a car the way that Leica did for the 800mm lens prior to the f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt Lens.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Prior to WWII the German Wehrmacht (Army, Navy & Air Force) were given the job of photographing the Maginot Line to ascertain just how difficult it may be to either defend or assault.

My late father in-law was ordered into the Wehrmacht in the late 1930’s as a photo assistant as he was available and knew how the chemistry of photography worked and was an assistant in the photographic section of an Apotek (?) (Chemist shop).

About 15 years ago on one of my visits to Germany he was in a talkative mood. The conversation swung round to photography; whereupon I learnt that he was an armed forces (Wehrmacht) photographer prior to and during the war.

Pretty much the most interesting thing, was his participation in photographing the Maginot Line. Basically the project consisted of one extremely huge lens, which had been manufactured in Jena. I understand it would have been a Zeiss Objective.

He had pictures of this lens, think of a coffin. The pictures he had, showed 6 men carrying, with difficulty, what looked like a coffin. This was then placed in strategic high places in Germany and then a series of pictures were taken through to France, which was between 12 – 18 kilometres away.

I obviously asked about this camera and lens set-up and was astonished to learn that it had a total length of 1.85 metres. The film used was AGFA 200mm wide colour and B&W aerial roll film. I know this part for a fact, I saw a few rolls of these films in my In-laws hands and looked and held them myself. Colour negative film in 1938!

The camera itself was quite interesting from the description given to me verbally and from the pictures my father in-law had. Apparently the camera had two shutter speeds. The image size was 6x6cm actual, not 55mm x 55mm. The film cartridge had a sliding mechanism, allowing the film to be slid sideways in one of three positions, thereby getting three pictures side by side on the 200mm wide film. There was no dark slide; the back lived in a big light tight box.

Now for the really interesting bit:- the lens was a 1.7m f5.6

Whilst I realise that Carl Zeiss Jena and the modern Zeiss Company are not really related, it is rather interesting.

As I write this my wife is flying to Germany to visit her mother, I will ask her if she can find the shoebox of pictures her father showed us that day. We may be able to see a picture of another great lens.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

Is he an APUGGER ?
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    More importantly, is he a subscriber?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin