Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,708   Online: 914

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For some strange reason, I just had a quick look at my ancient Mamiya C3...

Takes 120 film
    Close focus to a few cm
    interchangable lenses - I have 80 and 180mm.
    Flash sync at all shutter speeds.
    Use a separate hand held meter for spot, average, incident or flash metering.
    Spare lens elements - viewing and taking lenses are identical, so a scratched taking lens can be swapped with the viewing lens (which seems to be immune to scratches and "cleaning marks"?).

Weight: Can also be used as hammer, anvil or boat anchor...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, opening a brand new Rollei TLR out of the box is the stuff dreams are made of. And it will continue to be a dream for a long, long, long time!

It sure would be nice to have all three TLRs hanging around your neck covering an event.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From a repair point of view, the Rollei's are the best I've worked on. I have a couple 'cords and a Yashica 635 and Yashicamat that I've worked on. The 'cords are so much easier to deal with. I wish I could afford a new Rollei TLR, but that just will never happen. Even the Seagull TLRs are expensive now (for what they are). It would be real nice if there was a new "Volkskamera" again like the 'cord used to be, instead of the mega dollar curio that we have now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    This is not exactly news. I handled this camera at the PMA show six months ago. It's nice.

Cheers,

Roger
    Sorry, it was a news for me - it didn't appear to be common knowledge and it wasn't discussed here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's good to see the new Tele finally arrive.

There's been a fairly long, but perhaps not very well publicised, history of the two new models. The wide and the tele were shown as mock-ups years ago, then the wide - the 4.0FW - appeared. The rumours about the new tele were that Rollei wanted to avoid having to use the Rolleinars for reasonably close focussing, so the new tele was slower to appear. I recall an official announcement on the Rollei website a while back that the tele project had been abandoned because of that, but my memory might be playing tricks.

The 4.0FW is a pleasure to use, and I suspect that the 4.0FT will be as well. I wonder how much the Bay IV lens hood will cost for the Tele. The skimpy hood for the 4.0FW is $325.

The original Tele-Rolleiflexes are cheaper and more plentiful than the original Wide, but the close-focussing distance is a bit of a bind - though not a lot because the hinged Rolleinar 0.35 is easy enough to flip in and out. There are snaps taken with both the 4.0FW (1, 2) and the original Tele (3) in my gallery here on APUG.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    Sorry, it was a news for me - it didn't appear to be common knowledge and it wasn't discussed here.
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound sniffy: I was just surprised that no-one else had apparently heard of it. It was reported in my Shutterbug coverage of PMA Borelando, February -- report in May issue, I think -- and at the time I was promised one for review as soon as it was available; perhaps I can pick one up at photokina.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, the whole Rollei/Hassy thing was something I went thru a few years ago. I needed a MF kit for some of my work, and I was willing to sink some dough into something good, so I compared everything out there. I needed a motor, and at least a meter in camera, with AE being a useful extra. Of course, lenses needed to be great, but at that end, they are all in that league. I'd used Hassy, Bronica, Pentax, Mamiya (645 and 67) and tinkered with Contax. Hassy and RZ were top contenders, both had strong points. Hassy was smaller (and a bit 'fussy') but needed lots of (mentioned) add ons like the RZ which seemed kinda big and not that portable (and a bit slow as well). I got the Fine Rollei brochure and the more I read it and actually Looked at the system and how it would work in my hands I was convinced it would be what I needed. Mind you, I never even had one in hand, and nobody I knew even had one in the whole state of Hawaii ( I still think I have the only one) and rentals were out of the question so I did it, got it, bought it outright sight unseen. Pulled it out of the box and went, yup this is what I need, this works for me. First day I used it, shot 20 rolls lickety split, swapping out 3 inserts with a first-time assistant who learned how to load them instantly (try that with an A-12). I had a bit of warranty work done very soon after purchase (circut board) and a bit of small issues with the service but since then its brilliant.
    MF gear is kinda like cars. Hassy seemed to me like a cross between a Saab and Volvo, solid and has its 'quirks', but a bit stodgy and obsintant when pushed. Contax looked like a Lexus, all flashy displays up on the dash. Mamiya is the Toyota/Honda of MF, straight ahead, no frills, last forever. New Pentax was like Nissan, lots of plastic bits just waiting to break. But the Rollei, like a BMW. Get in and everything is in the place its supposed to be. Put it in gear, step on the gas and you go fast, tap the brakes and you stop fast, crisp steering etc. Rollei just has that feeling, like you can use it, like you Want to REALLY use it.
    I'd pay full price again for a Rollei. No doubt.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves
    MF gear is kinda like cars. Hassy seemed to me like a cross between a Saab and Volvo, solid and has its 'quirks', but a bit stodgy and obsintant when pushed. Contax looked like a Lexus, all flashy displays up on the dash. Mamiya is the Toyota/Honda of MF, straight ahead, no frills, last forever. New Pentax was like Nissan, lots of plastic bits just waiting to break. But the Rollei, like a BMW. Get in and everything is in the place its supposed to be. Put it in gear, step on the gas and you go fast, tap the brakes and you stop fast, crisp steering etc. Rollei just has that feeling, like you can use it, like you Want to REALLY use it.
    I'd pay full price again for a Rollei. No doubt.
    I love your motoring analogies, even though I don't entirely agree with someone who calls a Hasselblad quirky and doesn't find a Rollei TLR so. I've owned both, and given up on both, though for different reasons.

I never got on with the Rollei or indeed any TLR because of the handling (which I find slow and, yes, quirky). This demonstrates how much of it is personal: neither of us is right or wrong about this.

I sold the Hasselblad because in those days we didn't scan our own trannies and purblind art directors can crop a square image all kinds of ways -- even when they've signed off a Polaroid with the crop drawn in on it! That's why I went to Mamiya RB67.

Lately, though, I've been thinking of buying another Hasselblad, partly for old time's sake. My own view is that the Hasselblad is closer to a Bentley, or maybe even a Bristol, but then, I regard BMWs (saloons/sedans, anyway) as nothing special. Take a Ford; build it as well as you possibly can; and you have a BMW. I just don't find them as exciting/inspiring as you do(And yes, I have driven all of them).

And maybe a Rollei TLR is a top-of-the-line Range Rover: enormously strong, but big and chunky. I'll believe that if you do get along with them well, they're faster to use than Hasselblads, though.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    For some strange reason, I just had a quick look at my ancient Mamiya C3...

Takes 120 film
    Close focus to a few cm
    interchangable lenses - I have 80 and 180mm.
    Flash sync at all shutter speeds.
    Use a separate hand held meter for spot, average, incident or flash metering.
    Spare lens elements - viewing and taking lenses are identical, so a scratched taking lens can be swapped with the viewing lens (which seems to be immune to scratches and "cleaning marks"?).

Weight: Can also be used as hammer, anvil or boat anchor...
    Rolleiflex is a religion, the Mamiya TLR's have never been one...

(will this post - about religious matters - make the thread migrate to the soapbox ???)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Rolleiflex is a religion, the Mamiya TLR's have never been one...

(will this post - about religious matters - make the thread migrate to the soapbox ???)
    Nah, just a small penance. Three Hail Ansels.

Cheers,

R.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin