Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,346   Online: 1010

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I love your motoring analogies, even though I don't entirely agree with someone who calls a Hasselblad quirky and doesn't find a Rollei TLR so. I've owned both, and given up on both, though for different reasons.

I suspect, from reading between the lines, that the Rollei RidingWaves was extolling is the 6008 rather than the TLR. Perhaps a Mercedes E series?

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham
    I suspect, from reading between the lines, that the Rollei RidingWaves was extolling is the 6008 rather than the TLR. Perhaps a Mercedes E series?

Richard
    Hello Richard,

Having used a 6008i several times, I am inclined to say Porsche. The TLR seemed more like a Trabi, but a really well built example.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Oh, best clarify. I was talking about the 6008i. Porche analogy would be correct as well, perhaps more so since you'll cry the same when its time to get fixed! As for R.Hicks and BMW and Fords, have you driven a Ford..Lately? So very bad, but I've heard those English Fords are slightly better (I guess they call them Jaguar?) but Not in BMW arena. If you think about how to use a Hassy (properly) and if you have common photographic experience, just try to imagine getting it to work quickly or using it without jamming it. And like I said, try teaching a newby assistant to load an A-12 correctly (and quickly). Trabant, that's like the Kiev or Seagull?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves
    As for R.Hicks and BMW and Fords, have you driven a Ford..Lately? So very bad... Trabant, that's like the Kiev or Seagull?
    That's what I meant, really. Take a boring car and make it properly, and you have a well-made boring car, or B.M.W. (Boring, Made Well?). Make it like a Ford and you have a Ford...

Trabbis are a world unto themselves. Two-stroke, GRP body, no fuel gauge or external filler cap. They now have a cult following, like Holgas, except that the Trabbis that are still on the road have beem subjected to Darwinian selection and therefore run. Unlike Holgas.

In the studios where I worked in the 70s we used Hasselblads reasonably hard and fast -- photographing lions and tigers is often best done quickly -- and we seldom jammed them, but I take your point about teaching assistants to use A12s. I WAS an assistant then -- but it still took only 5 minutes to learn how to use it.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    I take your point about teaching assistants to use A12s. I WAS an assistant then -- but it still took only 5 minutes to learn how to use it.

I reckon that learning to load a Hasselblad magazine was one of the more useful tthings I learnt at Art School. A12s are easy compared to the old 12on type!

Richard

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    I reckon that learning to load a Hasselblad magazine was one of the more useful tthings I learnt at Art School. A12s are easy compared to the old 12on type!

Richard
    As we used to say in Bermuda in the '60s:

Dat de truf

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Whaaa! Roger, you're too funny! Boring, Made Well! LOL!
    As for a Trabant, I don't see them at all so I guess they're a little 'exotic'.
    I guess these days the 'quality' of most beginning assistants is quite a bit lower, it takes a few minutes to explain that a Leica doesn't actually Need batteries to work...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some Leicas do.

The A12 is not hard to load. It takes a day or two for a beginner to learn how to load it correctly and a week to do it fast. Hassies don't jam in experienced hands. The 6008 can help you work faster, although not that much.

I've been working with Hasselblads for the last 13 years and with 6008s in the school where I was teaching. My Hassies have gone under stress that could destroy the 6008 and have suffered little or no damage. I dropped a 40mm Zeiss Distagon on concrete from a height of almost 1 meter and I only had to cock the shutter (with the help of a screwdriver) to make it work again (if the shutter is not cokced the lens will not fit on the camera).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, but that was probably due to the fact that it was A Zeiss Lens. I've had Hassy's jam if you looked at them funny..:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny, I've heard nothing at all about new Rolleis here in Oz and I buy all the mags. Re releasing the Tele in this day and age is quite amazing and gratifying.
    Rolleis are like Leicas, something special....they are just better, thats all. They just beg to be used, even the 'Cords.
    Roger, maybe we'll se a test of the new Tele in Black and White Photo from Frances in the near future?
    Cheers, Tony

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin