Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,010   Online: 679

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

So I got this Ikoflex, right?

And it's going to need a little TLC. See here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260031396584

Yeah, I know...I really don't need another camera...but this one was sitting with no bids and I really thought it looked like it could use a nice home. So...I'll be cleaning the lenses, replacing the leatherette, and possibly cleaning the shutter. Dunno until I get it. I'm excited for this, though. The guy says the shutter actually works.

So, questions. What color of leather should I use? I'm tempted to buy a crapload of some nice box calf or oxblood leather because I've been meaning to tear the covering off of my other cameras and recover them all in the same color...one big happy family, kinda. Hobby lobby does sell this incredibly soft, supple black leather that's plenty thin enough to work as a covering. It would look good, too.

And one more thing: what would be the best thing to get the dirt off the lenses without scratching them?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See cameraleather.com for orstrich, lizard, and snake, as well as various leatherettes and composites. I'm thinking a bright red snake for my Mamiya, or a blue lizard for my Yashica GSN.

K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking oxblood leather kind of like what Leica puts on their cameras in their A La Carte thing...I like that color against a chrome body OR a black one.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hehe - "The shutter of the camera actually does seem to work on most of the shutter speeds." Is that ebay speak for the shutter needs to be overhauled?

See how the focus really is too - most Ikoflexii I have worked on have extremely stiff focus, requiring both side panels to come off to clean and lubricate the focusing cams.

Good luck!
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might want to try goatskin. From what I've found you really need a leather that is .5mm thick or less, anything thicker makes it a little difficult to work with on the camera. If you want extremely soft, then use lamb skin. Check ebay (don't trust the color descriptions, go by the picture) for 1-2 square foot "samples", that much leather does many cameras. I have a bright red Yashica 635 done in lamb skin, and some nice black goat skin waiting for a rollei or two. I have a large amount of a thin soft lamb skin in a plum color if you are interested, it was sold as crimson, but to me it looks closer to plum.

If you want to buy a slightly thinner and stiffer leather, then go for a "skiver" half skin from http://www.talasonline.com those would be about 4-5 square feet of leather (under $60). You might also want to pick up some of the pressure sensitive adhesive sheets while you are ordering. Contact cement can be difficult around the edges and other tight spots on many cameras. You might want to get some of the sample books before buying from Talas, the books have small swatches glued to card stock so that you can get a good look at the colors and "grain" patterns). Their online colors are pretty accurate though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just looked at the camera, looks like it has been in a flood. You're about to learn a lot about camera repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/cobalt_kid.htm

I agree, the camera looks flooded. Tough to tell what may lay ahead mechanically. Just hope it was fresh water and not salt water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'The glass of both lenses are quite dirty and definitely need to be cleaned. The way they currently are makes it difficult to tell the condition of the glass.'

:o

Stephanie, no disrespect intended here but, are you familiar with the term P.O.S?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Stephanie,

It looks like it is going to take an awful lot of time, effort and money to invest in this camera if the mechanics and the lenses are in good condition.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the lenses are not scratched, then it may only be time and effort. I wouldn't completely write it off yet.

I have a Rolleicord V that definitely spent time under water, enough so that the aluminum body had some corrosion. The shutter is now fine, and other than some cleaning marks that were probably there before I got it, not too bad. The leather was completely trashed and the body had a lot of sand inside.

As I said above, looks like you'll be learning how to fix it. For the price you paid don't let it intimidate you! Even if the lenses aren't great, use this camera to learn for the next one that you find!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin