Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,222   Online: 929
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4

    random hasselblad questions...

    i'm new to the hasselblad V system..
    i've borrowing a 503CW and 2-220 and 1-120 backs..

    my questions are:

    can i shoot 120 film in the 220 backs?
    are the inserts the same for both backs?
    is it possible to interchange them mixing up serial numbers?

    if i get a CW winder, can i still use a strap for the camera?

    is there such thing as a bayonet to screwmount adapter?

    which is the best metered prism which can be used with a polaroid back?

  2. #2
    wfe
    wfe is offline
    wfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,285
    Images
    11
    I have a 503CW and don't use the winder very much. I suppose it depends on what you are shooting. It is big and heavy and is probably best hand held or on a tripod.

    I have never used 220 backs and as I understand things 220 film is hard to get. Don't know if 120 works in the 220 backs.

    The inserts are matched with serial numbers and should not be mixed.

    There is a bayonet to screw mount adaptor which is the way to go to keep filter costs down.

    I would suggest using a hand held spot meter. Agin the prisms are heavy and bulky. I have one but only because I have trouble focusing otherwise.

    Good luck!!!

    Regards,
    Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by thelovecollective View Post
    i'm new to the hasselblad V system..
    i've borrowing a 503CW and 2-220 and 1-120 backs..

    my questions are:

    can i shoot 120 film in the 220 backs?
    are the inserts the same for both backs?
    is it possible to interchange them mixing up serial numbers?

    if i get a CW winder, can i still use a strap for the camera?

    is there such thing as a bayonet to screwmount adapter?

    which is the best metered prism which can be used with a polaroid back?
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

  3. #3
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    220 does not work in 120 backs and 120 does not work in 220 backs.

    Do not mix up the inserts.

    yes you can still use a strap with the camera with the winder on it. it will be very heavy.

  4. #4
    raucousimages's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    825
    There is no screwmount adapter. Hassy lenses are bayonet. What lens do you want to put on a Hassy body and why not use hassy lenses?
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

  5. #5
    wfe
    wfe is offline
    wfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,285
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post
    There is no screwmount adapter. Hassy lenses are bayonet. What lens do you want to put on a Hassy body and why not use hassy lenses?
    My comment was with regard to filters not lenses.

    Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westport, MA.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,047
    I use 220 in the 120 backs.. I've no sharpness issues or otherwise.
    One time though, I did manage to tear the film in half inside of the film holder. Once you get to 12 exposures, you have to open the back and close it to reset the counter. If you have a darkbag this works out alright.

    If you are going to be using 220 film on a regular basis, by all means go out and get a used 220 back. They are pretty cheap. I choose to use my 120 back because I rarely use 220 film and found a large supply of outdated portra 160nc pro packs for nearly free.

    I also agree with the bayonet to screw filter adapter. I've got one and it's definitely handy.

    I only have experience with the Kiev meter. Optically it is excellent.
    Mechanically, the meter knob is weak. There is a soft screw which holds the knob assembly together. I torqued it right off after the third day of using it. I was able to find a replacement screw but it is still kind of 'off'.
    The meter however was usually right on or real close to it. You can use this with the polaroid backs i'm pretty sure.

  7. #7
    raucousimages's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    825
    Sorry. Yes, adaptors are available for screw and drop-in filters from several sources.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    48
    It is possible to use 120 film in A24 backs but you will only get 11 exposures. I think there should be no problem interchanging inserts of backs with different serials as long as the both are the same model, e.g. two A12 backs. I have no idea if it's possible to swap inserts of different models but I think it's not a good idea.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,192
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by wfe View Post
    My comment was with regard to filters not lenses.

    Regards,
    Bill
    Note that there were at least 2 common sizes for H'blad filters: Bayonet-50 (a.k.a. Bay 50, B50) which were used on the earlier lenses and Bayonet-60 (a.k.a. Bay 60, B60) which were used on later lenses. Make sure the filter adapter you obtain fits your lens. Also be careful about vignetting, keeping in mind that you have a bit more distance between the filter and the front element when you use an adapter.

  10. #10
    resummerfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    It is possible to use 120 film in A24 backs but you will only get 11 exposures. I think there should be no problem interchanging inserts of backs with different serials as long as the both are the same model, e.g. two A12 backs. I have no idea if it's possible to swap inserts of different models but I think it's not a good idea.
    My experiences exactly. I have also used 120 film in a 220 back, and yes, you only get 11 exposures. Hasselblad advises to use matching inserts and shells for optimum results, but I have interchanged inserts and never had any problems.
    —Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin