Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,547   Posts: 1,573,018   Online: 881

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had a few, and the keeper among them is the Voigtlander Perkeo II, which I use with a shoe mount rangefinder. I had a Bessa II 6x9 with Color Heliar--fantastic camera, but it just didn't work for me ergonomically, and like all 6x9 folders, it had film flatness problems. The Perkeo is really pocketable, and given the kind of construction these cameras have, it's easier to keep a 6x6 frame relatively flat.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I still shoot a Zenobia made in the early 1950's It is a very good and overlooked camera.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I've had a few, and the keeper among them is the Voigtlander Perkeo II, which I use with a shoe mount rangefinder. I had a Bessa II 6x9 with Color Heliar--fantastic camera, but it just didn't work for me ergonomically, and like all 6x9 folders, it had film flatness problems. The Perkeo is really pocketable, and given the kind of construction these cameras have, it's easier to keep a 6x6 frame relatively flat.
    Another issue, which can compound the problem if film flatness, is that the lenses of 6X9 cameras are quite long, 105mm to 120mm, and they have very limited depth of field. When you combine film flatness with limited depth of field the results can be very soft negatives when you use the camera at close distance and wide apertures. This is a recipe for bad results IMO.

To make best use of 6X9 folders I would recommend a film of ASA of 400 or more that allows the use of small apertures and fast shutter speeds, and avoid anything closer than about ten feet unless you are sure the rangefinder is calibrated. And put the camera on a tripod if possible. Most of the old 6X9 folders, used this way, are capable of very good results.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Alex, folder are kind of cool cameras.The problem for me is that I usually want to see the image in the ground glass before I commit. I feel very at home with a 6x6 bronica and it is the camera I do take out when I go out shooting. The 6x9 stays home. It just doesn't attract me a whole lot. I do think that folders make for great travel cameras. They let you make a great travel shot in a large piece film that you might one day feel like enlarging and hanging on your wall. Also it is a great camera having in the car for immediate reach, should the need arise.

Images
    I have had good luck with an Iskra and a Moskva 2. The view finder on the Moskva 2 is easier to use and more accurate because it it centered.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have a plaubel makina, great camera. Very sharp lens.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i have and used a mamiya 6 .. one of the old ones not one that has interchangable lenses. while it is a good camera sharp lens and there are no issues with film flatness, i wouldn't suggest getting one if you come across one. i had one and used it very often since last december, then a part broke. (it was the bolt that goes from film compartment to the winder knob.) since ther aren't very many of these oddities around there are no parts buy 2 and use one as a parts camera ( like the v-dub in the back yard as your parts car ). i even sent it to jurgen who did his best to fix it, but after on roll of film i was back where i started -- broken. while it is a good camera, if you find one, the price it commands is not worth it if the camera breaks and can't be repaired ..

this is the mamiya 6 with the roman numerals III, IV &C ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Alex, don't do like I did...I have a complete Bessa I (but with a Vaskar lens, not one of the sexier ones). Camera, case,straps, 645 mask, instructions and box (though the box is a bit beat up) and never use it. For some reason it just does not work for me - oh and Ilford films are almost impossible for me to see the numbers thru the red window. I should get rid of it (if your interested Alex, send me a PM).
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    PM sent Mike.

Thanks for all the good info everyone. Learned a lot. What a great website this is!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had Jurgen rehab my Ansco Super Speedex Special "R" (6x6) a year or so ago...CLA, new bellows, etc. The camera cost me $30 on the bay and he was another $140. The rangefinder is smooth, lens focuses well and overall, I've got some good, sharp images from it. Both mine (got another) have the Apotar lens, which is a fine performer. Not their high end lens, but more than adequate. For more info, see certo6's website.

These are (except for name) practically identical to the Agfa Isollette II's (or is it III's?). But, they are less expensive.

There's a guy in Europe who sells excellent folders, usually CLA'd, his bay name begins with "P" but that's all I know. Another guy in Hawaii on the bay also sells some that he CLA's...don't remember his seller name.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin