Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,739   Posts: 1,515,537   Online: 1085

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I would recommend a 6X9 folder for the big negative . The best ones in this size are without question the Super Ikonta C and Bessa II. Unfortunately, both are very expensive if you can find them in very good condition.

Sandy King
    These are both nice cameras to work with. For those on a smaller budget, there are similar models available without the coupled rangefinder. Bessa I and any Ikonta without the word "Super" in it's title are easy to find and are much more affordable. For those who have never used these, focusing is done by estimating distance from lens to subject. Adjustment of the distance scale on the lens gets the focus where you need it. Stopping down the lens will increase your depth of field. Usually you can find these cameras for a decent price.
    As a rule, I avoid the Agfa cameras. All the older ones I've had without recent service have damaged/deteriorated bellows and/or a frozen front lens element... sticks so that it won't move.
    Best of luck to those who find and enjoy folding cameras. I'll be taking my Bessa II off to northeast OK this weekend for a visit with family and friends and to snap a few more shots of a rural area before it falls prey to urban sprawl.
    Chris

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Kodak 66 Model III doesn't get mentioned much because you rarely see it outside of the U.K.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago from a U.K. buyer. It was a nice little camera and seemed to be pretty well made. The top deck was that gray plastic that Kodak seemed to love.

The story of this camera is that it was developed and manufactured solely by Kodak's U.K. division. It also is one of the very few Kodak cameras from that period that used 120, rather than 620.

But I agree that the Kodak 66 Model III is a great choice for someone starting out in folding cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    These are both nice cameras to work with. For those on a smaller budget, there are similar models available without the coupled rangefinder. Bessa I and any Ikonta without the word "Super" in it's title are easy to find and are much more affordable. For those who have never used these, focusing is done by estimating distance from lens to subject. Adjustment of the distance scale on the lens gets the focus where you need it. Chris
    In the days when folding cameas were very popular one could buy stand-alone rangefinders that woud go into the accessory shoe on top of the camera. To make a negative you would first use the rangefinder to find the distance, then make the adjustment on the lens. Many years ago I used one of these stand-alone rangefinders on a Kodak Tourist II. It was a very practical system, and in some ways more reliable than coupled rangefinders.

The two Russian Moscow 4 and Moscow 5 folders that I own are all very good performers. I would probably use them more but for the little squinty viewfinder, a plague that seems to infect all of the older folders. I have a couple of Leitz type universal finders and have considered mounting them on the Moscow 5 folder, but to do so I would have to put an accessory shoe on top since this camera does not have one. Just curious if anyone else has ever modified one of their folders tio use a better bright line finder?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy, I've noticed a couple accessory rangefingers on the auction site. Sounds like it would be worth having one.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    As a rule, I avoid the Agfa cameras. All the older ones I've had without recent service have damaged/deteriorated bellows and/or a frozen front lens element... sticks so that it won't move.
    Best of luck to those who find and enjoy folding cameras. I'll be taking my Bessa II off to northeast OK this weekend for a visit with family and friends and to snap a few more shots of a rural area before it falls prey to urban sprawl.
    Chris
    There is a fellow that claims to restore old Agfas (amongst others), fix the bellows, clean and overhaul the shutter and lens, etc. I think his ebay name is certo6, and he has a website that more or less says the same thing, though he resores the things himself.

I have never done business with him so have no first hand experience, so YMMV.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin