Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,694   Online: 928

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As someone mentioned earlier, it may be you only need to readjust the diopter correction to fit your eyes. The camera may actually be focusing correctly. This happened to me recently with a Canon EOS 1n that I bought from KEH and couldn't focus. Not being familiar with the camera, I didn't realize the diopter correction was under the removeable rubber eyepiece.

CGross
    I have this issue but with a C33 I recently aquired. I have been sorting through any info I can find about this on the internet. One post mentioned using a ground glass on the film plane and focusing on that and then check the view finder to see if they are the same.

Dave, would you be able to give me a piece of ground glass that would fit within the film plane on my mamiya? If I gave you the dimensions?

I would assume the easiest thing to do is focus the taking lens on the ground glass, then adjust the focusing screen if they are not the same. Does anyone know what the up and down movements of a focusing screen does.
    For example. If the film plane is focused and the focusing screen is out of focus do I move the screen down or up? Or is this one of those "you will only know if you play with it" things !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snowy,

The c330 and the E is a different beast, but I can make a piece of glass to fit in your camera to check your focus on the film plane, it would not be a problem.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget to buy a microscope!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the diopter set at -1.5 because that's the way it looks best to me. I use the split prism to focus on something that's pretty flat and has details and then set the diopter to how it looks the sharpest. Is that not correct? I have a Canon 20D and a Canon EOS Rebel GII for 35mm for my portraits and 35mm film. The Rebel doesn't have diopter adjustments and it looks pretty sharp when I focus, the 20D is pretty much the same though it does have diopter but I don't think it's changed from normal. This is the only camera that doesnt' appera correct when I look through it while set as 0. I've got film drying in my bathroom now though so I will break out my lens and check it out pretty soon. I shot something that appeared out of focus at f/2.8 while focused at infinity to see what's up with that. Also, I can't really go through the hassel of sending it back because of how much time it would take and such. Most of my work is stuff that's fairly close to me anyways.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On all my lenses, the distance markers are pretty close to whe the image is in focus. You might want to measure the distance to an object, and then check to make sure that the object really hits focus at the measured mark. All in all, I really don't like the 80mm, it's my least favorite lense. I've made some great images with it, but it just doesn't do a lot for me. I guess what I'm saying is that if it is the lense, I wouldn't spend much money on it. Pick up a nice 110mm f2.8 or the 150mm f2.8. Having a second lense would help you determine if it was the camera or the lense that was out of whack. If it's the camera, then you might have to get it serviced, someone might have messed it up. if the E is like the Super and Pro, there is a small release button inside the lense mount. Pushing this button lets the focus screen come out through the lens mount. You might need to make sure the screen is installed correctly. Then you will have to see if the mirror is in the right place. I think there are little rubber cushions on each side where the mirror rests, if those are worn or gone, you might get this same focus problem and it will mess with all your shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmm, on a quick inspection it looks like the infinity 2.8 shots are in focus without loupe inspection or at least without thorough loupe inspection. Is it possible to put the lens on incorrectly? I sure it's on correctly but I just thought I'd bring it up since I didn't have a manual when I got the camera but I thought I got the lens on the right way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, I have never been able to put the lense on incorectly and have it stay attached to the camera body.

Line up the red dot on the lens, to the red dot on the body (down near the shutter release), insert lens and twist until it locks.

I just want to check something....

The shots with the lens at infinity are in focus? If so then your mirror or ground glass are out of place.

If the shots are in focus in the viewfinder, and on film then the lens is out of whack and should be easy to fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah, it seems that the infinity at 2.8 are in focus, the shots where I stopped down a lot are in focus but I think that shots that are close at 2.8 or maybe 4 as well are somewhat soft but focus gets better as I get closer to inifnity. I believe that's what's happening. So you say mirror or ground glass? I don't figure there's anything I can do myself is there?

I checked it out last night and I dont' see anything that's glaring at me as obviously off though I'll definitly check it again. I looked at the mirror and it just rests on one prong when it comes back down.

Ahhhhh! I just looked at it again and it looks like the ground glass is slightly lower on the left side when looking at the camera! I hadn't noticed that before. I know people mentioned about trying to take it out but this camera isn't supposed to be able to have changable gg's is it?

And about thinking I might put the lens on incorrectly, I didn't realize that you didn't have to fit the little groove around the metal peg outside the lens while you were putting it on. I didn't realize that as you twist the lens on it will fit itself in haha. Shows you how much I've taking that lens off.

Anybody think they may be able to throw together some checks and possible solutions to getting this thing back up there? I'm also not sure which side should move; I don't know if the right should come down or the left should go up. I just would really love to keep it out of "the shop" where I would have to pay somebody to do something like this unless it's really necessary.

Thanks for your help everybody!

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    here are some pictures of the inside hopefully...

Hoping that one of you out there knows what I might be able to do to fix this...

I'm trying to upload the photos but one is still too big so I'll put an url here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tlookingin.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails straightsmall.jpg   leftlookinginsmall.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin