Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,576   Posts: 1,545,712   Online: 759

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

suggestions for a CLA of mt RB kit

hello all,
    i have an rb pro s kit that i love dearly. i has been all over the world and has produced awesome pics. i bought it all BGN grade from keh some time back and i am thinking maybe i should get a CLA done now while all the good camera repair people are easy to find. i figure soon they will all have new jobs soon.

am i crazy to do this, or should i wait for them to fail and pick up a "new" one at a later date? they should keep coming down in price. i have 1 body, 3 lenses, and 2 backs. i figure a good clean and some new seals would go a long way.

please tell me your favorite and greatest repair people. i would like to have a perfect job so i will not have to worry about this again for 20-30 years! would it be crazy expensive and over kill to let mamiya do it? do they still have a repair team there? how about a non manufacture team? thanks everyone.

eddie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't count on prices to keep coming down. Sooner or later [and I think we're close] the supply of people dumping stuff will dry up.

I'd ask Mamiya how much they want. It likely won't be the cheapest but won't cost anything to ask on thier web forum.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been thinking the same. My RB is a pro s is pretty much mint and boxed which means it was probably left sitting around not being used for many years. Even the paint on the winder looked new which is very rare. Still, it has been solidly performing for the last 2 years I've had it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    okay okay. i checked with mamiya.
    pros body $253
    lens $210
    i might as well get a "new" body/lens fom keh. will all my existing lenses, backs and all fit on a Pro SD body. i might as well get the newest upgrade i can. thanks again
    eddie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well you asked Mamiya, what did you expect? You don't take your car back to the dealer for a $200 oil change do you?

I've been doing complete CLAs for $150... camera body plus 1 lens n 1 back, all seals included, you pay the round trip shipping.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey, there is no guarantee that the next body you buy won't need to be serviced. Like anything mechanical, it will need serviced at some point.

Any if the camera is approaching the 15- to 20-year mark, it most certainly will need to have those foam seals replaced.

I would spend the money and get it serviced. You know the camera, and you know it's operating as you like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    okay okay. i checked with mamiya.
    pros body $253
    lens $210
    Eek! I was looking to get my 180mm C looked at but it may be better to dump it on ebay and buy a newer KL since I was going to replace it eventually anyway.

Anyone know someone who does mamiya work at a reasonable price in London?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin